Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is It Tacky To Plan Your Own Baby Shower

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 4 Replies

Poll

Question: Is planning your own baby shower tacky?

Options:

Yes

No

Depends

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 7

View Results

In my family, showers were always a surprise, wedding or baby. I guess I just feel like a shower should never be expected. People shouldn't just expect to receive gifts because they are getting married or having a baby. Now, it's just the norm and is expected. Here's something I found online:

According to etiquette authority Miss Manners, because the party centers on gift-giving, the baby shower is typically arranged and hosted by a close friend rather than a member of the family, since it is considered rude for families to beg for gifts on behalf of their members. However, this custom varies by culture or region and in some it is expected and customary for a close female family member to host the baby shower, often the baby's grandmother.

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 30, 2014 at 3:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
LoveMyBug2013
by Silver Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 3:54 PM

I agree with you.  It's really tacky to throw a party that says "Hey, give me gifts."  We throw the party when the baby is born and it is to celebrate the child. We do not expect gifts.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 30, 2014 at 3:57 PM

That is a great idea!

Quoting LoveMyBug2013:

I agree with you.  It's really tacky to throw a party that says "Hey, give me gifts."  We throw the party when the baby is born and it is to celebrate the child. We do not expect gifts.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 30, 2014 at 4:05 PM

BUMP!

MeAndTommyLee
by Angie on Jul. 30, 2014 at 4:09 PM
It's absolutely tacky.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)