Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

ds's dad is going to prison... what happens with child support?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 25 Replies

this will be the second time he'll be going in. 7 years ago, the order was placed at $350/month (he was working 60 hrs a week)... he quit 3 months later, but never filed for a modification... years down the road, he ended up going to prison. during all that time, it continued to add up- the $350/month... even during his prison stay, it was still set at $350/month... well, somewhat. halfway through, they modified it (i never requested one and as far as i know, he didnt)... but it was set at $250/month-- this was placed while he was in prison. yes, he was working in prison. yes, he was making payments, but nothing over $2.50/month.

so now, he's a few dollars short of being at $21,000 due to DS. will they just keep adding on the $250 he owes each month? by the time he gets out, he'll owe an additional $15,000 (looking at 5 years... but possible he could get 8).

am i supposed to be doing something? notify them that he's back in jail/going to prison (another court date for him is the 27th... he's apparently been in jail for a few months now).... is that his responsibility? his families? not sure what i'm supposed to do. i know legally, i'm supposed to update them with any changes to ME (my address change, income change, etc), but what about him?

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 30, 2014 at 4:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 30, 2014 at 4:07 PM
In wi there's somethin you can file with sis or something I'd have to ask my sister her sons dad was the same way
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 30, 2014 at 4:11 PM

would i need a lawyer?

its so annoying. when we were together, he was great- awesome job, he could've moved up in the company, etc... then he said, "Hello Heroin, want to go in my blood? yay!" and it's been shit ever since. I never believed the saying, prison is a revolving door... but thats so true. he cant seem to stay out of trouble. if he's not in prison, he's in jail.. if he's not in jail, he's on the run.

Quoting Anonymous: In wi there's somethin you can file with sis or something I'd have to ask my sister her sons dad was the same way

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 30, 2014 at 4:11 PM
When my husbands dad went to prison (his little brothers were both still minors) he was ordered to continue paying child support. He is in a huge amount of debt because if it but they still keep adding the amount of child support he owes a month.
Tnlexiesue
by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 4:17 PM
2 moms liked this
I don't say this to be mean...but, I think the saying, "can't squeeze blood from a turnip" fits. I would think the order will stay in place (until court ordered differently) and when he gets out and gets a job his wages can be garnished each month. I my state, driver's licenses can be revoked for non-payment of child support.
nmkj
by Emerald Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 4:18 PM
It will just keep adding up while he is there.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jul. 30, 2014 at 4:20 PM
As long as he is on drugs...he's gonna stay in prison..he's gonna do whatever it takes to get high..and just from my personal experience. ..I got jack shit when my oldest dd daddy was in jail. He signed his rights over and now my husband is her dad

Quoting Anonymous:

would i need a lawyer?

its so annoying. when we were together, he was great- awesome job, he could've moved up in the company, etc... then he said, "Hello Heroin, want to go in my blood? yay!" and it's been shit ever since. I never believed the saying, prison is a revolving door... but thats so true. he cant seem to stay out of trouble. if he's not in prison, he's in jail.. if he's not in jail, he's on the run.

Quoting Anonymous: In wi there's somethin you can file with sis or something I'd have to ask my sister her sons dad was the same way

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 31, 2014 at 8:55 AM
No she just went to the courthouse I believe

Quoting Anonymous:

would i need a lawyer?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jul. 31, 2014 at 8:59 AM
When my son's dad went to prison he requested a modification and got it knocked down to $3.50 a month. I was pissed when I found out because I feel like he should still have to pay the child support. Why should the kids go without just because their dad is a fuck up?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Jul. 31, 2014 at 9:00 AM

Child support is based on his income, well it is here anyway.  So if he's in prison he is making what?  And you get a percentage of what?  It's easy for him, once released to prove his income during the years of incarceration and his 'arrears' will be adjusted.

SithMom71
by Silver Member on Jul. 31, 2014 at 9:03 AM
Here is a thought, call child support and ask them. I know it is a shocking thing to do, but they may actually have the answers.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)