Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

If you're not married to your partner do you consider yourself a single mom?

Posted by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 4:12 PM
  • 29 Replies
Me and my df have been together for almost 9 years. No we are not legally married but I still consider him my hubby. I saw on another post where a girl said the op was always a single mother because they weren't legally married. Does everyone think this way? I don't consider myself a single mother at all and I never have. My df lives with me, works to support us and a great father to ds. I don't do it all by myself. He helps me. How can you consider that being a single mother just because we are not legally married?
by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 4:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tlynn28
by Bronze Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 4:16 PM
Bump
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 30, 2014 at 4:17 PM
I've been married 11 yrs, and it as if I am a single mother.
Gypsy.Scribe
by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 4:17 PM
1 mom liked this

Just because you aren't married doesn't automatically mean you're single. It's possible to be in a serious relationship and not be married.

jewels.unicorn
by Bronze Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 4:22 PM

My "DH" and I have been together 17 years, we are not married. He asked me to marry him um,... that many years ago... I have a ring, but we are not any closer to married, lol.

He's my hubby. We don't need a paper to tell us.

And NO, not a single mom by any means.

My friend's "baby daddy" proposed to her with a ring that was not big enough in her opinion. They live together but she acts like a single mom, out partying, etc. Makes me cringe. They are still doing the nasty as a couple, and parent as a couple, but she considers them single... so stupid. (and no, they aren't dating outside the relationship, she can but he's not allowed... ugh!)

JoanahLee
by Platinum Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 4:24 PM

No. Single means alone. I am not parenting alone, therefore I am not a single parent. 

Whoever said that is an idiot. 

tlynn28
by Bronze Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 5:05 PM
Thats what I was thinking. I couldn't believe she said that to the op. I just don't get how some woman still think in the traditional way and if you don't do it that way your wrong.

Quoting JoanahLee:

No. Single means alone. I am not parenting alone, therefore I am not a single parent. 

Whoever said that is an idiot. 

tlynn28
by Bronze Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 5:07 PM
Wow I'm surprised your friends baby daddy deals with that. I wouldn't deal with it and neither would my df. Its wrong in so many ways.

Quoting jewels.unicorn:

My "DH" and I have been together 17 years, we are not married. He asked me to marry him um,... that many years ago... I have a ring, but we are not any closer to married, lol.

He's my hubby. We don't need a paper to tell us.

And NO, not a single mom by any means.

My friend's "baby daddy" proposed to her with a ring that was not big enough in her opinion. They live together but she acts like a single mom, out partying, etc. Makes me cringe. They are still doing the nasty as a couple, and parent as a couple, but she considers them single... so stupid. (and no, they aren't dating outside the relationship, she can but he's not allowed... ugh!)

tlynn28
by Bronze Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 5:08 PM
So he doesn't help you at all. Why do you stay if you don't mind me asking.

Quoting Anonymous: I've been married 11 yrs, and it as if I am a single mother.
Crashly
by Ashley on Jul. 30, 2014 at 5:08 PM
No
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 30, 2014 at 5:11 PM
Why would I leave? Just because he doesn't help with the kids doesn't mean we should divorce. It just means either I start asking for help, or he starts on his own.

He does change diapers sometimes, but about 99% of everything besides the financial burden falls on me, and I like it that way. Well not all the time, but it works :)

Quoting tlynn28: So he doesn't help you at all. Why do you stay if you don't mind me asking.

Quoting Anonymous: I've been married 11 yrs, and it as if I am a single mother.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)