Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My dog has had 6 seizures today *pic

Posted by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 4:49 PM
  • 49 Replies

Anyone else go through this? There is nothing much the vet can do besides valium, which we've already done, and prescription meds that make her a zombie. I am so sad:(

by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 4:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JackieGirl007
by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 4:50 PM

BUMP!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 30, 2014 at 4:51 PM
My dog had epilepsy, he was on some kind of medicine to control it. I forgot the name of it. It wasn't valium
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 30, 2014 at 4:52 PM
How come vet can't help ? My vet said seizures can be caused by dehydration and constipation. Make sure your baby Hackman water at all hours and also put a dab of availing on the roof of his mouth to help constipation. Good luck and please update. Hugs.
JackieGirl007
by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 4:54 PM

Yeah they like to prescribe a drug from the benzoid family that makes them just sleep, eat and gain weight. She is such a fun dog I don't want to do that, the seizures haven't happened for almost a year. I'm thinking she got into a chemical of some kind which is usually what causes it for her.

Quoting Anonymous: My dog had epilepsy, he was on some kind of medicine to control it. I forgot the name of it. It wasn't valium

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 30, 2014 at 4:54 PM
Has clean water at all times. Not Hackman. ( stupid phone) Sorry for typo. Also, have the vet check for heart defects through x ray. That could be another reason.

Quoting Anonymous: How come vet can't help ? My vet said seizures can be caused by dehydration and constipation. Make sure your baby Hackman water at all hours and also put a dab of availing on the roof of his mouth to help constipation. Good luck and please update. Hugs.
kymom23
by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 4:55 PM
I had a collie that used to have seizures. Never that many in one day though.

Have they checked her blood sugar? I was told that low blood sugar can cause seizures in dogs. If she has epilepsy, they can prescribe phenobarbital for the seizures.

Bless her heart. I hated watching my collie have a seizure. I felt so helpless when they would happen. I hope they can find something that works for her.
ragdoll7777

My mom's dog had seizures, he'd crawl close to her when he was about to have them, it was so sad, he was in some meds to control it a bit but there was not much they could do.

JackieGirl007

She's always got water so I know it's not that. Thanks for the hugs:)

Quoting Anonymous: How come vet can't help ? My vet said seizures can be caused by dehydration and constipation. Make sure your baby Hackman water at all hours and also put a dab of availing on the roof of his mouth to help constipation. Good luck and please update. Hugs.

MooseMomma
by Platinum Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 5:19 PM
My Akita has epilepsy. She's on potassium bromide and before that was on phenobarbital. Neither one made her lethargic.
gradysmom2006
by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 5:24 PM
My dog has them. Most he's had is 2 in a day and that was horrible. I refuse the Valium at this time as well. He sleeps a lot as it is. He has liver disease so as his toxins grow, he seizes. I have to watch te kids, they like to sneak him treats.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)