Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is 13 a Milestone?

Posted by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 4:52 PM
  • 19 Replies

I posted this question in another group and so far have received no response. This group seems more active. My daughter is turning 13 in November. She wants to have a big party to commemorate her becoming an official teen. I'm all for it. I was raised on again off again Jehovah Witness and never had parties. So I'm always up for celebrating my kid's special day. When I started planning her party, I received negative or less then enthusiastic feedback. I'm being told that 13 isn't a milestone and that throwing a big party is overkill. I was told most kids don't have parties and that a cake and family dinner is all that is needed. Is this true or are these chicks just screwing with me?

by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 4:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
xredstarsx
by Platinum Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 4:53 PM
I think it's great. I only had family dinners as a kid but I will probably throw parties for my kids.
casah4
by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 4:53 PM
1 mom liked this

We just had a family party because that's what we do, but I don't think it's unreasonable to throw a big party. It's a big deal to a child to finally be a teenager. It's worth celebrating, for sure! If she wants a big party and you can afford it, go for it!! It's all about making them feel special, not about anyone else.

HistoryNutty
by Ruby Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 4:55 PM
What works for other families, don't have to work for your family.

This your now teen a big bash!
ilovemykids323
by Emerald Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 4:56 PM
if the girl wants a party give her one lol... i don't see the big deal. i was lucky if i got a cake for my birthdays... and even luckier if i got present. my parents never made my birthdays special. if my dd asked for one at 13 i'd give it to her and hope she felt special on her big day of becoming a teenager!
Larae1990
by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 4:56 PM
I always throw a huge party, my hubby was also raised Jehovah and doesn't understand "the hype" of holidays, he had never celebrated a Christmas till I moved in with him. In my opinion 13 is a milestone
tisha826
by Tisha on Jul. 30, 2014 at 4:58 PM
I think turning 16 is more of a big deal, but of you want to throw a big party go for it!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 30, 2014 at 5:00 PM
Are these people paying for the party? No?
Then screw what they think. Do what you want for your kid
Sydel
by Platinum Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 5:00 PM

We rarely did holidays when I was growing up so it's hard for me to get excited. My mom ruined Easter and Christmas for my oldest daughter but I've always kept her birthday's special. It's crazy growing up people thought I was weird for not having a Christmas tree and now I have moms looking at me strange because I want to invite the entire 7th grade calss to a birthday party...

Quoting Larae1990: I always throw a huge party, my hubby was also raised Jehovah and doesn't understand "the hype" of holidays, he had never celebrated a Christmas till I moved in with him. In my opinion 13 is a milestone

Raeann11
by Emerald Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 5:00 PM

I was a witness to and I know that lots have big parties at any age. Turning to a teen is a big deal.

Sydel
by Platinum Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 5:01 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree 16 is a definate milestone. And as long as she keeps up the great grades and gives 110% in all that she does, grandpa is already planing on getting her a car LOL

Quoting tisha826: I think turning 16 is more of a big deal, but of you want to throw a big party go for it!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)