Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Posted by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 5:35 PM
  • 35 Replies

I just recently moved to Montana, and medical cannabis is legal here. I have several issues that cause me a disabling amount of pain, and nothing else has helped. OTC pain meds don't do anything, and prescription pain meds cause me to become either too dizzy and nauseous, or too doped up to function. 

Let me make it very clear that I do NOT want to smoke it. I only want to try oil capsules from a high-CBD/low-THC strain of cannabis to treat my pain. I have no desire to get high, I only want to reduce my pain to a more tolerable level. 

My concern is that even though medical cannabis is legal here, Montana is still a fairly conservative state. I'm worried that taking it will negatively impact my ability to find and keep a job around here. Hopefully any potential employer will understand that I'm not smoking weed to get high, but taking a legally prescribed medicine to treat several disabling conditions.

For the record, the aforementioned conditions are the following.

1: Scoliosis

2: Chronic subluxation of my right hip joint

3: Extra lumbar vertebra that is malformed and trying to fuse to my pelvis

4: Compressed disks and vertebrae in my neck

5: As-of-yet undiagnosed chronic full-body pain (doctor suspected fibro, but more testing needs to be done)

6: Chronic migraines (caused by my damaged neck disks and vertebrae putting pressure on my spinal cord)

I've also tried acupuncture, acupressure, massage therapy, and even reiki. Nothing has helped, and I'm feeling desperate. Chiropractic treatments helped a bit, but it only goes so far.

by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 5:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
OwlNuggets
by HAIL NUGGY! on Jul. 30, 2014 at 5:36 PM
1 mom liked this

Land a job first, pass the whiz quiz, THEN take up MMJ.

There's plenty of things on the market to clean your system quickly or even fake urine that works 100% of the time.

T-Rentsmommy06
by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 5:37 PM
I have to imagine no, depending on the job. You cannot get a government job period. If that's what you're looking for... :)
SexyBurlapSack
by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 5:38 PM

I hate being dishonest, and they'd find out eventually. I'm NOT a good liar.

Quoting OwlNuggets:

There's plenty of things on the market to clean your system quickly or even fake urine that works 100% of the time.

SexyBurlapSack
by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 5:39 PM

Not looking for government work. 

Quoting T-Rentsmommy06: I have to imagine no, depending on the job. You cannot get a government job period. If that's what you're looking for... :)

OwlNuggets
by HAIL NUGGY! on Jul. 30, 2014 at 5:40 PM
1 mom liked this

That's on YOU, then.

If they don't ask, don't tell.

And if they DO ask, all you have to say is

"No. I don't smoke."

Quoting SexyBurlapSack:

Quoting OwlNuggets:

SexyBurlapSack
by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 5:41 PM

Argh! See? This is where it's tripping me up....

Quoting OwlNuggets:

That's on YOU, then.

"No. I don't smoke."

Quoting SexyBurlapSack:

Quoting OwlNuggets:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 30, 2014 at 5:42 PM
Just because it is legal there, it can still be a reason not to hire you. Especially since it is still illegal on a federal level
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 30, 2014 at 5:42 PM
Not sure how it works bc ohio hasn't legalized yet, but if you had a doctors note, or the MJ medical card, would that work? Like legally could they not hire you if you have medical paperwork supporting it?
OwlNuggets
by HAIL NUGGY! on Jul. 30, 2014 at 5:43 PM

What's tripping you up is a misplaced sense of guilt that just shouldn't be there.

If smoking weed won't impede your ability to do your job, you're not getting high at work, and you're not stealing money to buy more, then what is it their business for? What do you need to feel guilty for?

It's NOT. and you SHOULDN'T.

Quoting SexyBurlapSack:

Argh! See? This is where it's tripping me up....

Quoting OwlNuggets:

That's on YOU, then.

"No. I don't smoke."

Quoting SexyBurlapSack:

Quoting OwlNuggets:

SexyBurlapSack
by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 5:43 PM

It's not legal for them to not hire or fire me because of it, but they can certainly come up with some other BS reason....

Quoting Anonymous: Not sure how it works bc ohio hasn't legalized yet, but if you had a doctors note, or the MJ medical card, would that work? Like legally could they not hire you if you have medical paperwork supporting it?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)