Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Quit biting my kid!

Posted by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 6:15 PM
  • 41 Replies

Some kid at daycare keeps biting DD; twice this week, which brings the grand total to 5 times. Today it was on the face. I know that there's nothing the caretakers can do but it's just frustrating.

Just for the record, this is in the toddler room. The kids range from 18-24 months.

*Edit*

Just to be clear (because I now realize that the above is not), there is NO way for me to know if all 5 times was the same kid. The daycare keeps that information anonymous in order to protect the child.

It was only twice this week and she's been bitten a total of 5 times since she's been in this class.

by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 6:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hismommy2010
by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 6:32 PM
1 mom liked this
Usually the day cares in my area will terminate that childs position. Meaning inform the parent of that kid & make them leave
JackieGirl007
by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 6:36 PM
1 mom liked this

I disagree that there is nothing they can do. I would take my child out of that place if she was getting bit 5 times a week.

nmkj
by Emerald Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 6:49 PM
I think there is something you can do. Demand the kid be removed! You pay money for this service your kid deserves to not be attacked.
Bieg9093
by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 6:55 PM
3 moms liked this

If they aren't going to stop this kid, maybe your kid can do the job.  If he's verbal, teach him to yell "DON'T BITE ME!" and push him away.  If not, just tell him to scream as loud as he can...and push him away.  Or if he's got the coordination, maybe he can box the other kid's ears. 

And tell the daycare you've told your kid to fight back, so if they don't want a toddler cage match on their hands, they'd better make sure everybody keeps their teeth to themselves.

spunky946
by Ruby Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 6:59 PM
1 mom liked this
It's totally normal for that age group. It's hard at that age when they are just learning to communicate.

Having had a child who used to bite, it's just as frustrating. Most parents are just as sorry.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 30, 2014 at 7:02 PM

This, Dont allow your baby to be a chew toy

Quoting Bieg9093:

If they aren't going to stop this kid, maybe your kid can do the job.  If he's verbal, teach him to yell "DON'T BITE ME!" and push him away.  If not, just tell him to scream as loud as he can...and push him away.  Or if he's got the coordination, maybe he can box the other kid's ears. 

And tell the daycare you've told your kid to fight back, so if they don't want a toddler cage match on their hands, they'd better make sure everybody keeps their teeth to themselves.

MinglingMom
by Silver Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 9:14 PM

We specifically asked them about it before going there because DD had bitten a kid at her old daycare so we just wanted to know their policy on it. They said that because they are so young and don't know how else to express their feelings, they will not terminate a child unless it gets out of control. I don't know what deems it out of control but there's also no way of me knowing if it's the same kid biting her or not. They are not allowed to tell us who did it.

Quoting hismommy2010: Usually the day cares in my area will terminate that childs position. Meaning inform the parent of that kid & make them leave

UpSheRises
by Gold Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 9:16 PM
1 mom liked this
Glad to hear that you know its a developmentally appropriate behavior but im sorry that its happening to DS.
MinglingMom
by Silver Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 9:17 PM

It was only twice this week and five times over the past month. I can't take her out, we don't have another daycare option or someone close by to watch her. I've called other places and they all have waiting lists and they cannot give me an estimated time.

Quoting JackieGirl007:

I disagree that there is nothing they can do. I would take my child out of that place if she was getting bit 5 times a week.

MinglingMom
by Silver Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 9:21 PM

I totally understand and I have been on both sides. She bit a kid at her old daycare and once at this daycare. A little part of me hopes that she bit the same kid back but at the same time, I feel bad because she doesn't bite at home. I specifically asked them about their policy on biting before we decided to put her in this facility just in case.

Quoting spunky946: It's totally normal for that age group. It's hard at that age when they are just learning to communicate. Having had a child who used to bite, it's just as frustrating. Most parents are just as sorry.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)