Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Dog advice? Help!

Posted by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 6:56 PM
  • 9 Replies

Hi All! I have a 10 year old weimaraner pitbull mix. About 6 months ago he started peeing himself. As in, he would walk around or be laying down and just start peeing and he didn't even notice that he was doing it. We took him in and they told us his prostate was enlarged and we needed to get him fixed (I'm not sure why he was never fixed, I was barely a teenager when we got him). They fixed him and the problem stopped, they checked him and no more enlarged prostate. They said he will be just fine and sent him on his merry way. Well this past week he has been doing the peeing thing again, but now he shakes really bad right before he pees himself. He's also been drinking water and started peeing at the same time or he'll drink a little bit of water and throw it back up. He's also seem to "forget" where he lives. He was trained as a puppy (before we adopted him) to walk without a leash. So we'll take him out to the yard and stand on the porch. He'll go do his business and then try to walk to someone else's house. Like he doesn't even notice that we were standing right there and not that he's just going for a little walk. He'll act like that's his house and tries to get in and I end up having to carry him back to the house.  

I made him a vet appointment for my mom but we can't get him seen till next week, I hate to have to wait that long so in the morning (all the vets in my area are closed right now) I will be calling all the vets to see if I can get him in sooner. The vet he currently goes to thinks he needs his anal glands drained so she's in no hurry to see him. My mother is a worried to all hell. Anyone have anything like this happen before? What could it be? I think the wandering he's been doing might be the old age but the peeing has me worried as it stopped after he got fixed but he's back to doing it.. 

Any advice?

MyFitnessPal - Nutrition Facts For Foods

by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 6:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Coconutty4Hubby
by Cafe Goddess on Jul. 30, 2014 at 6:57 PM

What is a whimmerrunner??? Do you mean a weimaraner???

zombieskayer
by Platinum Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 6:59 PM

Yeahh, I always spell it wrong for the life of my I can never get it right.. 

Quoting Coconutty4Hubby:

Coconutty4Hubby
by Cafe Goddess on Jul. 30, 2014 at 7:02 PM

LOL! He just sounds like an old man. The older humans get, the harder for them to control their bowels and wipe. Some start getting dementia, too. Same with dogs... :(

Quoting zombieskayer:

Quoting Coconutty4Hubby:

PinkButterfly66
by Sapphire Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 7:02 PM
1 mom liked this

He's getting old, honey.   It could be his kidneys, it could be his pancreas (diabetes), and dementia.  Yes, please call around to other vets to find someone who will see him sooner.  And get blood work done.   If it is his kidneys or pancreas, pm me.  I know some herbal/homeopathic products that will help him. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 30, 2014 at 7:09 PM
There could be so many things going on. It really depends if the forgetfulness is intentional or not, if it's not intentional is it related to the urine dripping problems. Some reasons you might see both happening:

He could have a urinary, kidney, or prostate infection

He could have gastroenteritis, a bacterial infection of the gut.

He could be developing dementia .

He could have a brain tumor.

He could have a viral infection.

He could have degenerative myopathy

There are so many possibilities and the probable cause can't be determined without an examination.
zombieskayer
by Platinum Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 7:09 PM

I'm telling you, I'm requried to learn all these medical terms for my degree and can do those no problem but can never get the dog's breed name right lol. I was afraid it was just old age. He doesnt' seem to be in pain or anything but I'm not really sure what to do at this point. 

Quoting Coconutty4Hubby:

LOL! He just sounds like an old man. The older humans get, the harder for them to control their bowels and wipe. Some start getting dementia, too. Same with dogs... :(

Quoting zombieskayer:

Quoting Coconutty4Hubby:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 30, 2014 at 7:10 PM

I would have a scan to check for neurological issues. Good luck. It's sad when pets change behavior for the worst :( Keep us updated!

zombieskayer
by Platinum Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 7:11 PM
1 mom liked this

Thank you, If it's his kidneys or pancreas I'll PM you for sure. I know when he had the issues before that they mentioned possible kidney issues but they found the enlarged prostate and chalked it up to the fact that he wasn't fixed. 

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

He's getting old, honey.   It could be his kidneys, it could be his pancreas (diabetes), and dementia.  Yes, please call around to other vets to find someone who will see him sooner.  And get blood work done.   If it is his kidneys or pancreas, pm me.  I know some herbal/homeopathic products that will help him. 

zombieskayer
by Platinum Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 7:12 PM

I will keep updates for sure! We've had this dog for so long, we saved him from an abusive situation so he's always been so close to our hearts!

Quoting Anonymous:

I would have a scan to check for neurological issues. Good luck. It's sad when pets change behavior for the worst :( Keep us updated!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)