Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

S/O - Friend's book with YOUR personal details

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 12 Replies

I've got a friend whose marriage has been a roller coaster for as long as I can remember.

I'm divorced and the end of my marriage was awful.

She's got a couple of other friends that have been through infidelity, as well.

She and I have had deep, soul searching conversations about what it does/did to us, what it means about our husbands, the other women, the kids, the pros and cons of how she's dealt with it in staying and how I dealt with it in leaving, etc.  The husband of another friend of hers committed suicide when he realized that his other family was going to be discovered.

All of the talk got he creative juices flowing.  She wrote a book interweaving all of these tales of woe, changing all of the names and places.  There is a publisher interested and before they can talk further, they want waivers from all of the women whose stories she's told.  She's arguing that it's semi-fiction because of what she's changed and she shouldn't have to do that.

I've read my chapters and told her that I wouldn't sign a waiver.  I don't want to be in it.  I told her that, as her friend, I want the book to be a huge success and accompany her to NY to be on the Today show.  But I've worked really hard to make sure that my young kids don't know about Dad and SM and how I really feel about them and the end of my marriage and there's no way that cat stays in its bag if their aunt is doing book tours.

She's hurt and angry with me and telling me that I'm ruining her one good chance to finally leave him with her head held high and money in her pocket.

WWYD?

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 30, 2014 at 8:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
smurfette1903
by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 8:31 PM
I wouldn't sign the waiver. Airing your dirty laundry will do nothing but cause issues for you...for her it is a paycheck.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 30, 2014 at 8:38 PM

I hope she gets to write her book. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 30, 2014 at 8:40 PM
That's tough. You can't make a deal to get a cut of that?
Chris030406
by anonsneednotreply on Jul. 30, 2014 at 8:43 PM
If she's a good writer, then she should be able to rewrite it enough so that she doesn't need your consent.
Chris030406
by anonsneednotreply on Jul. 30, 2014 at 8:43 PM
But I'd sign it.
teenkabear
by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 8:45 PM

Your kids are more important than her book career--period.

vlbomar
by Silver Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 8:46 PM
I'd sign it. Names were changed, I doubt your children will actually READ the book.
malibucj
by Platinum Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 8:47 PM

I respect your choice. Your kid's are more important than a book.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jul. 30, 2014 at 8:48 PM

I would do it because I could care less what my ex or whatever chick he is dating now thinks of me..lol
Hell.......I'd let her use my name...does she need some more stories.........I have LOTS!!! 
I mean they probably will eventually ask questions....My son is 9 and already asking. They won't understand until they are older anyways (When they would even think to read the book)...and when that time comes they will ask what happened....They may not even connect the two.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jul. 30, 2014 at 8:48 PM

Absolutely not.  You do not need to air any of your dirty laundry out there for her profit.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)