Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

If your kids share bedrooms

Posted by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 8:59 PM
  • 30 Replies

How do you deal with illnesses and them not disturbing each others sleep?

My twins(8) have just started sharing a bedroom again about 3 months ago and this is the first time that one of them has been sick. Younger DS has bronchitis and spent all of last night coughing and up and down out of bed, which in turn kept his brother up. I actually think he got more sleep than poor older DS did, which made him painful to deal with today. Tonight seems to be heading in the same direction.

So how do you make this work? Do I kick one of them out to sleep on the couch? Kick DH out to sleep on the couch and bring one of them into bed with me? What do you do?

I sorely regret turning the spare bedroom into a wardrobe now...

by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 8:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mylilmonkey1120
by Bronze Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 9:01 PM

Just offer the couch up. If the older one is really bothered by it then he'll jump at it 

KairisMama
by Emerald Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 9:03 PM
It's really never been a big issue. My DS used to cough a lot prior to adenoid and tonsil removal, but DD slept right through it. There was a time stomach flu went through the house. When DD had it, I had her sleep on the couch, and I stayed down here with her, so I could help her to the bathroom as often as needed.
Roo1234
by Platinum Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 9:07 PM
I've always put the sick child in the family room with me. Everyone else stays put
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 30, 2014 at 9:10 PM
When the kids are sick the sick kid sleeps with me, if they choose not to that's fine but the healthy one gets to camp out on the couch or in our playroom or goes to sleep in my daughters room on the trundle. I'm the mom that doesn't care where the kids sleep as long as they are sleeping and I can find them in case of a fire easily
Ginger0104
by Ruby Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 9:12 PM

It's never been an issue.  My kids are almost 13 and 10 and have shared a room since they were almost 4 and 1.  Normally the sick kid wants to camp out on the couch just because it's comfy and easier for me to tend to them if needed. 

Denni1026
by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 9:13 PM
Same here

Quoting Roo1234: I've always put the sick child in the family room with me. Everyone else stays put
caustinb
by Ruby Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 9:14 PM
Our 2 yr old is just starting to sleep in a "big" bed. He's been using the lower bunk in my older ds's room. He has a noise machine that keeps them from hearing each other, and we haven't hit the sickness problem yet. Sick kids usually get the privilege of crashing on the couch in front of the TV in the lower level.
catngabsmom
by Gold Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 9:15 PM
This, and my girls don't share rooms. To get from their rooms to my room, they have to go past the staircase (17 steep steps, straight down) and into my bedroom which is a small hallway, then 4 steps down. They are a little too old (11.5 and 13) to have a baby monitor in their rooms, and I still worry about not hearing them if they need me, or falling down the stairs in a sleepy fog! So the sick kid sleeps on the blow up air mattress and I take the couch!

Quoting Roo1234: I've always put the sick child in the family room with me. Everyone else stays put
katnjake
by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 9:16 PM

I have to ask, why did you turn a bedroom into a wardrobe? I'd sleep on the couch with sick DS and let other DS and DH have the beds.

PoisonEyeV
by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 9:16 PM

I put a mattress out in the living room on the floor when one of the twins gets sick.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)