Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Start teaching girls not to hit boys!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 17 Replies
1 mom liked this
Nearly 40% of reported domestic violence victims are men.

More than one in four women (28%) and around one in six men (16%) had experienced domestic abuse since the age of 16. These figures are equivalent to an estimated 4.5 million female victims of domestic abuse and 2.6 million male victims.

A study of 1,800 men and women with heterosexual partners. Some 11% of the men but only 5% of the women said their current partner had committed acts of violence towards them, ranging from pushing, through hitting, to stabbing. 5% of married or cohabiting men reported two or more acts of violence against them in a current relationship, compared with only 1% of women.

A survey of 1,037 young adults found that 18.6% of young women said they had perpetrated severe physical violence against their partners, compared with 5.7% of young men. Three times more women than men said they had kicked or bitten their partners, or hit them with their fists or with an object.

The psychologist John Archer has noted that, among female college students, 29% admitted initiating an assault on a male partner. Of those women, half said they had no fear of retaliation or, since men could easily defend themselves, they did not see their own physical aggression as a problem. In other words, far from assuming that men are violent, women take men's non-aggression for granted.

It's time to start teaching children, male or female, domestic abuse is NEVER okay.
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 30, 2014 at 10:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 31, 2014 at 1:32 AM
Bump
RocknRoll.Rose
by Ruby Member on Jul. 31, 2014 at 1:37 AM
Ok define initiating. Most abused women and children are conditioned to believe that the abuse is their fault for whatever reason. I was and so were my mother and grandmother. When I was younger, I probably would have said that I initiated it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 31, 2014 at 1:41 AM
I agree with this. It's crazy that women think these types of things are ok just because men are stronger, therefore their aggression isn't the same as when a man does the same thing. WRONG!
I have been livid at my man before. Even, not proudly, drunk and livid. I almost got us kicked out of the bar I was so mad and yelling at him. He said he was expecting me to throw a drink or hit him at any moment because that's what girls do. I, admittedly, had drank too much and was taking things way too far but even in that state I didn't, and would never, hit him or throw anything. I would never physically assault a man just because I'm a woman. A woman hitting a man is the same thing as a man hitting a woman. It's not ok and shouldn't be tolerated or treated differently.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 31, 2014 at 1:48 AM
Hitting first

Quoting RocknRoll.Rose: Ok define initiating. Most abused women and children are conditioned to believe that the abuse is their fault for whatever reason. I was and so were my mother and grandmother. When I was younger, I probably would have said that I initiated it.
RocknRoll.Rose
by Ruby Member on Jul. 31, 2014 at 10:53 AM
What is the first thing we teach our toddlers? Just because she hits you doesn't mean that it is ok for you to hit back. Hitting back when it isn't necessary only means that you are no better than they are. A man is stronger than a woman. My 11 month old hit my 11 year old. Does that mean that he can hit her back? Yes a man hitting a woman is different from an older child hitting a baby but it does illustrate my point. There are always other ways to handle things.

Quoting Anonymous: Hitting first

Quoting RocknRoll.Rose: Ok define initiating. Most abused women and children are conditioned to believe that the abuse is their fault for whatever reason. I was and so were my mother and grandmother. When I was younger, I probably would have said that I initiated it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 31, 2014 at 12:39 PM
You totally missed the point. Nowhere did I imply that it's okay for boys to hit girls. I'm simply pointing out that girls think it's ok for them to hit boys. We focus on teaching boys not to hit and our girls are growing up to be abusers at almost the same rate as boys, maybe higher because men don't report it.

Quoting RocknRoll.Rose: What is the first thing we teach our toddlers? Just because she hits you doesn't mean that it is ok for you to hit back. Hitting back when it isn't necessary only means that you are no better than they are. A man is stronger than a woman. My 11 month old hit my 11 year old. Does that mean that he can hit her back? Yes a man hitting a woman is different from an older child hitting a baby but it does illustrate my point. There are always other ways to handle things.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 31, 2014 at 12:46 PM

I've taught my girls not to hit first and I've taught my son to hit back if someone (of any gender) hits him first. All 3 of my children know that if they are hit first, I fully expect them to hit back hard enough to end the fight.

nayeli.c
by on Jul. 31, 2014 at 12:47 PM

In general I believe in the saying "if you can dish it out you better be able to take it". Honestly I do think men should be able to defend themselves no matter who the perpitratior is as long as they use "reasonable force".

Many of these ladies are hitting because they no they won't get hit back. I'm sorry but I think they should be if they are overly violent. 

Goodybag1
by CuteiPie on Jul. 31, 2014 at 12:49 PM
Your words. My thoughts.

Quoting RocknRoll.Rose: What is the first thing we teach our toddlers? Just because she hits you doesn't mean that it is ok for you to hit back. Hitting back when it isn't necessary only means that you are no better than they are. A man is stronger than a woman. My 11 month old hit my 11 year old. Does that mean that he can hit her back? Yes a man hitting a woman is different from an older child hitting a baby but it does illustrate my point. There are always other ways to handle things.

MrsApple
by Platinum Member on Jul. 31, 2014 at 12:50 PM

I have always taught my daughter never to hit ANYONE.Of course defending herself is one thing but to hit someone out of anger,ect. is never acceptable,boy or girl.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)