Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

managers would you hire someone with a sn child edit

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 61 Replies
The post about the manager will not hire a pregnant woman got me to thinking.

Would you hire someone who has a sn child. Say mom had to take time off work, days off or leave early or come in late due to doctor appointments and school meetings, or at times had to leave because of an issue at school with her sn child?

Would you hire her?

Edit
For those saying it shouldn't come up in interview actually a honest person would mention it. During scheduing and availability and when they ask you of there is anything that may impact your job performance. Some people have had to quit job or have been let go of because of the needs of their sn child. But that's why it would be brought up.
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 30, 2014 at 10:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 30, 2014 at 10:48 PM
Here's a bump!!
I work with emotionally disturbed kids and would love to hear what people say!
Christy_517
by Lurker on Jul. 30, 2014 at 10:50 PM
I have a special needs son, and I was afraid of having issues when I was job hunting last year. Luckily, I found an amazing job at a place where they gladly let me take off for IEP meetings, etc. However, I'm in the accounting department so I have an office job and don't do shift work. I can see how it would be different if someone were to be counting on me and I was gone.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 30, 2014 at 10:50 PM
Bump
BrutalTruth
by urbullyisshowing on Jul. 30, 2014 at 10:51 PM
I'm curious. Bump.
HIJKLM
by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 10:51 PM
1 mom liked this
I would hire someone who was available and reliable. If they told me before hand "I'll be late sometimes or unavailable to work my scheduled shift" I would not hire them. If they're calling in last minute regularly after I hired them they would be fired.
AvantGardener
by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 10:51 PM

If it came up in the interview I would be wary. It depends on the person really. How it comes up and how she talks about her child would be a huge factor.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 30, 2014 at 10:52 PM
1 mom liked this
Seeing as how that should never come up in an interview, period...
ferrellmt
by Bronze Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 10:54 PM

illegal to even ask about personal things, so yes. otherwise you will get sued for discrimination.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 30, 2014 at 10:54 PM
Lets say during the interview she mentioned it because she knew it may be an issue when she starts working laying all the cards on the table would you hire her?

Quoting AvantGardener:

If it came up in the interview I would be wary. It depends on the person really. How it comes up and how she talks about her child would be a huge factor.

caligirl7613
by Ruby Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 10:55 PM
My manager wouldn't know. I would request what days i needed off, or schedule apppts on my day off.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)