Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Car dealership made an error, would you be upset too?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 60 Replies
I bought a pre owned car this past Friday and they just called me telling me that the bank needed $1000. That I owe them another $500. My trade in was $500. They did not tell me this during the paper work so I called the bank myself to confirm this so I wasn't getting screwed. They told me it was true and I'd have to discuss it with the dealership. It was the dealership's fault and they have to resubmit the paperwork. This upsets me and when I pay the rest of the money tomorrow they better lower my monthly payments.

I traded the car in with no extra money down and I was approved for a suv which was what I wanted. I can afford the monthly payments don't get me wrong. It was urgent for me to get rid of my clunker. But anyway does anyone know if any other dealerships made such an error like this? Screwing up after I already signed everything and drove off with the new car?
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 31, 2014 at 1:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bluebunnybabe
by Ruby Member on Jul. 31, 2014 at 1:34 PM
1 mom liked this
It's pretty common. Many banks won't do the loan if the new vehicle is upside down & that's what it sounds like happened.
sarastanley88
by Bronze Member on Jul. 31, 2014 at 1:37 PM
I'd look over the paperwork
Mom100WV
by Bronze Member on Jul. 31, 2014 at 1:37 PM
1 mom liked this

I've never heard of this before.  You should have a copy of all the paperwork and any money owed or paid should be listed on it.  As long as what is on the paper is what you have paid and agreed to, and dealership doesn't have a foot to stand on.  Even if they made a mistake, it is their mistake and their obligation to fix it, not yours.  That is exactly what contracts are for.

nerdymom28
by Ruby Member on Jul. 31, 2014 at 1:37 PM
2 moms liked this

Typically whatever you sign is legally binding. Read through your contract and see what it says you owe. That should determine your next move.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 31, 2014 at 1:39 PM
They should make a new contract for me to sign since I have to put money down on top of the trade in value. The contract said I owe nothing.

Quoting nerdymom28:

Typically whatever you sign is legally binding. Read through your contract and see what it says you owe. That should determine your next move.

AvantGardener
by extremely humble on Jul. 31, 2014 at 1:39 PM

I'm not understanding what is going on. What is the reason you owe more money?

leksismommy
by Platinum Member on Jul. 31, 2014 at 1:39 PM
I had a coworker that was sold a stolen car from a dealership. He found out when he went to go get his plates/tags. Dealerships suck.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 31, 2014 at 1:41 PM
I would nullify the contract and take my business elsewhere since they are idiots.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 31, 2014 at 1:41 PM
I do have the copies. They didn't tell me they screwed up obviously. Just said the bank called them saying I owe $500 they wanted a thousand altogether not just my $500 trade in value. I will be going in to discuss it tomorrow.

Quoting Mom100WV:

I've never heard of this before.  You should have a copy of all the paperwork and any money owed or paid should be listed on it.  As long as what is on the paper is what you have paid and agreed to, and dealership doesn't have a foot to stand on.  Even if they made a mistake, it is their mistake and their obligation to fix it, not yours.  That is exactly what contracts are for.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 31, 2014 at 1:42 PM
I have heard of people going to a dealership on the weekend and getting a car and then getting a call a few days later demanding they returrn the car
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN