Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Bringing Ebola home. ETA2

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 557 Replies
7 moms liked this
I just saw on World News Now that they're bringing 2 Ebola infected Americans home from Africa to Atlanta's Emory Institute. Apparently the Emory Institute has a segregated quarantine unit that's in compliance with CDC recommendations. The article that I read said that their medical staff is prepared to handle the situation because they train all year for this. Am I the only one NOT comforted by that idea? I mean, this is EBOLA! How often do we actually see Ebola cases here in the US?

Edit to add: What the World Health Organization says about Ebola...

http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs103/en/

Eta2:
Monkey Meat and the Ebola Outbreak in Liberia: http://youtu.be/XasTcDsDfMg
Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 1, 2014 at 8:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 1, 2014 at 8:23 AM
12 moms liked this

I am with you there, this is how a lot of diseases are brought to the US. and most of these diseases come from Africa.

Ginger0104
by Gold Member on Aug. 1, 2014 at 8:25 AM
34 moms liked this

Well, what do you expect them to do with them?  At least they have a plan in place.  I'm not comforted at the idea of Americans being locked out of our country. 

From reading your title, I wonder how long til someone decides Ebola is a pretty name and sticks their kid with it. 

Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Aug. 1, 2014 at 8:25 AM
7 moms liked this
I haven't been paying attention to the news, but this doesn't sound like a brilliant idea.
notjstasocermom
by Emerald Member on Aug. 1, 2014 at 8:26 AM
So?
chickensmommy
by Gold Member on Aug. 1, 2014 at 8:26 AM
13 moms liked this
I'm with you, I think that they should stay where they are and not risk spreading Ebola.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 1, 2014 at 8:28 AM
35 moms liked this
There's already a thread about this.

Ebola isn't easy to contract. We know how to contain it with basic hygiene precautions. Of course US citizens will receive better care here than in Africa. I have no issue with this, and if it were me sick, I would hope my country would bring me home, too.
quickbooksworm
by Ruby Member on Aug. 1, 2014 at 8:30 AM
12 moms liked this
We have never had an Ebola case in the US. I've read a lot about the virus in the past few days and find a lot of new information. I think we don't really know everything there is to know about it and bringing infected people to a continent that has never seen it is a bad idea. There is nothing that can be done for these people at Emory that can't be done where they were.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Aug. 1, 2014 at 8:34 AM
5 moms liked this
You have to come into contact with body fluids to contract the virus. This won't be an issue. We've never had ebola but travelers have brought back all sorts of nasty shit. It just doesn't make the news when they are the only ones who get it.

I'm more worried about the stress of a trans Atlantic flight on the patients.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 1, 2014 at 8:35 AM
16 moms liked this
Why can't they just send trained medical professionals with the necessary supplies over to Africa to nurse them back to health? Then bring them back here... :-/

The idea of locking an American citizen out of our country is sad to me, but when you think about it... Bring them back here where they have a 60-80% chance of survival with the risk of infecting hundreds or thousands more, or deal with it where they're familiar with it... Sometimes an emotionally charged decision should be ignored for a more logical one.

Quoting Ginger0104:

Well, what do you expect them to do with them?  At least they have a plan in place.  I'm not comforted at the idea of Americans being locked out of our country. 

From reading your title, I wonder how long til someone decides Ebola is a pretty name and sticks their kid with it. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 1, 2014 at 8:40 AM
9 moms liked this
There is a strain of MRSA that was born in hospitals that could have been eradicated years ago if it were as simple as proper hygiene practices, but it's still around and continues to spread.

Quoting Anonymous: There's already a thread about this.

Ebola isn't easy to contract. We know how to contain it with basic hygiene precautions. Of course US citizens will receive better care here than in Africa. I have no issue with this, and if it were me sick, I would hope my country would bring me home, too.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)