Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Bringing Ebola home. ETA2

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
I just saw on World News Now that they're bringing 2 Ebola infected Americans home from Africa to Atlanta's Emory Institute. Apparently the Emory Institute has a segregated quarantine unit that's in compliance with CDC recommendations. The article that I read said that their medical staff is prepared to handle the situation because they train all year for this. Am I the only one NOT comforted by that idea? I mean, this is EBOLA! How often do we actually see Ebola cases here in the US?

Edit to add: What the World Health Organization says about Ebola...

http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs103/en/

Eta2:
Monkey Meat and the Ebola Outbreak in Liberia: http://youtu.be/XasTcDsDfMg
Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 1, 2014 at 8:22 AM
Replies (461-470):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 71 on Aug. 3, 2014 at 10:44 AM
1 mom liked this
The illegals brought back tuberculosis. We're fucked .

Quoting Anonymous:

I am with you there, this is how a lot of diseases are brought to the US. and most of these diseases come from Africa.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 72 on Aug. 3, 2014 at 10:44 AM
They come from Africa after the white men brought it to them.....

Quoting Anonymous:

I am with you there, this is how a lot of diseases are brought to the US. and most of these diseases come from Africa.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 70 on Aug. 3, 2014 at 10:45 AM
1 mom liked this
If it isn't easy to contract, how did the dr get it?? He had all his protective gear on when dealing with patients.

Quoting Anonymous: There's already a thread about this.

Ebola isn't easy to contract. We know how to contain it with basic hygiene precautions. Of course US citizens will receive better care here than in Africa. I have no issue with this, and if it were me sick, I would hope my country would bring me home, too.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 70 on Aug. 3, 2014 at 10:49 AM
They chose to go there!We didn't choose to be at risk.

Quoting KaterP: Wherever they are, they could potentially spread it. So, it's okay to spread it in Africa? If they're American citizens, this is their home. How would you like to be denied access to your homeland??

Quoting chickensmommy: I'm with you, I think that they should stay where they are and not risk spreading Ebola.
Valentina327
by on Aug. 3, 2014 at 11:03 AM
I believe I just read something about there being 1 case with a man in CO currently.
mommy74146
by Platinum Member on Aug. 3, 2014 at 11:37 AM
2 moms liked this
I'm kinda on the fence about this. I mean I get it, they are from here and should be taken care of.. but is it worth it putting the entire country at risk for a couple of people who knowingly went into the snake pit? I just don't think it's a good idea to bring a disease we know almost nothing about, here where it's never been before. I don't know.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 73 on Aug. 3, 2014 at 11:47 AM

From what I have read, the treatment is basically, drink lots of fluids with electrolytes and either survive or don't. I would request NOT to be brought back to America if I had contracted Ebola. It has a fatality rate of 90% in humans... If I could spare my home country the possibility, however small, that I might infect others on the same flights and cause a plague of epic proportions...I would. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 57 on Aug. 3, 2014 at 11:54 AM
It was in the article, they opted to treat others instead of themselves. Look up the article for yourself.

Quoting SerenityAscends: There is no vaccine for Ebola....

Quoting Anonymous: These two workers should be brought home. I don't see where anyone mentioned they decided to give the vaccine to others instead of treating themselves. I'm sorry, to the idiot/racist that said most viruses come from Africa is not at all educated. Most viruses are grown,bred and harvested in labs for the purpose of genocide/wiping out a particular population. It's just some viruses are taking longer or the wrong population is being infected.
SerenityAscends
by Member on Aug. 3, 2014 at 12:00 PM
There is NO vaccine yet.

Quoting Anonymous: It was in the article, they opted to treat others instead of themselves. Look up the article for yourself.

Quoting SerenityAscends: There is no vaccine for Ebola....

Quoting Anonymous: These two workers should be brought home. I don't see where anyone mentioned they decided to give the vaccine to others instead of treating themselves. I'm sorry, to the idiot/racist that said most viruses come from Africa is not at all educated. Most viruses are grown,bred and harvested in labs for the purpose of genocide/wiping out a particular population. It's just some viruses are taking longer or the wrong population is being infected.
southernmomm448
by on Aug. 3, 2014 at 12:06 PM
We live about 20 minutes outside of Atlanta. I have mixed feelings about this....I feel compassionate towards the patients but a little worried about it being so close to home. I guess we will just have up trust Emory and the CDC. I'm sure they have dealt with some pretty horrible contagious diseases before and have good security protocols.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN