Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

A year without groceries

Posted by on Aug. 1, 2014 at 10:35 AM
  • 355 Replies
6 moms liked this
I have been following a blog in which the family made a decision to go a year without groceries. They stockpiled on essentials at SAMs Club and then planted several gardens. They stated in January.

They make a lot of things from scratch and trade with local farmers for everything else. They also shop at local farmers market and they plan on hunting some this fall.

They have ordered new clothes and things offline once because her kiddos needed clothes. They also still shop at locally owned businesses, mainly for supplies needed to maintain their small farm.

At the end of the year they plan on doing down thing big with all the money they have saved.

I was talking to DH seeing if he thinks we could do this, and he thinks it would require a lot of prep.

I've just started extreme couponing. So I plan on stockpiling on things like toilet paper, laundry soap, and cleaning supplies and ya know good things you can get with coupons, pasta, canned things, dish soap, personal hygiene supplies.

We are going to plant a garden and starting canning. We want to go through every season and see how well we do with the different crops per season and stock up on a few things that we use regularly.

After a year if couponing and gardening/ canning we will start our year without groceries.

At the end of the year we will go on either cruise or to Disney, or both!

We currently spend about $200 a week at the grocery store for our family of 5.
We could potentially save over 10K!

Do you think we have a good plan?

Could you do this?
by on Aug. 1, 2014 at 10:35 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Aug. 1, 2014 at 10:37 AM
29 moms liked this
This sounds horrible, lol. I could never!
momto2boys973
by Emerald Member on Aug. 1, 2014 at 10:37 AM
16 moms liked this
To each his own, but it's not for me. I appreciate modern conveniences. Not to mention I love trying new produce and I don't think I could plant everything from asparagus to kiwis to dragonfruit. I'm a chef and I need variety.
couture-mommy
by She.Me.Her on Aug. 1, 2014 at 10:39 AM
9 moms liked this
Not something Id be remotely interested in
bensmommy1
by Silver Member on Aug. 1, 2014 at 10:40 AM
2 moms liked this
I couldn't do it.
Melissa...
by on Aug. 1, 2014 at 10:40 AM
4 moms liked this
This sounds awesome! I wish I could do it, but I'm having a lot of trouble getting my garden to do much. I'm just not very good at it. I do like to shop the farmers markets though. I wonder what they do about milk? What about eggs? If you do it, would you get a few chickens?
Ms.Pteranodon
by Platinum Member on Aug. 1, 2014 at 10:42 AM
I hate going to the grocery store and u currently go twice a week! It would be a big adjustment but not as bad as the local family I know. They completely gave up convenient foods and pretty much make everything from scratch if do without.

But she says they are enjoying cooking together ad getting to know local farmers. All three if her kids are now great at making butter!

I plan I'm stockpiling with coupons on some convince foods.

Quoting momto2boys973: To each his own, but it's not for me. I appreciate modern conveniences. Not to mention I love trying new produce and I don't think I could plant everything from asparagus to kiwis to dragonflies. I'm a chef and I need variety.
Iguessiwasbad13
by Gold Member on Aug. 1, 2014 at 10:45 AM
No room here for as real garden plus our weather is screwy
Ms.Pteranodon
by Platinum Member on Aug. 1, 2014 at 10:49 AM
3 moms liked this
I HATE ANIMALS
So no chickens for us. I already buy eggs most if the time from a friend of mine. Sometimes I trade her babysitting services for veggies and eggs.

One of the reasons we want to coupon and garden for a year is to see how well we can do. Obviously if I can't get a good garden going or a good stockpile from coupons then this won't be a good idea.
But we live in a pretty good area I think with a little bit if effort I good get a good garden.

The family I know who is currently doing this trades other fruits and veggies for milk and meat. They have also purchased from other farmers and traded for services. Like one Saturday they all spent the day working at a local farm and at the end if the day took home 3 gallons of milk, several ponds of beef and a few dozen eggs.

What is so crazy is this family is not poor by any means. The idea came from their 8 year old!

Quoting Melissa...: This sounds awesome! I wish I could do it, but I'm having a lot of trouble getting my garden to do much. I'm just not very good at it. I do like to shop the farmers markets though. I wonder what they do about milk? What about eggs? If you do it, would you get a few chickens?
ZombieMeat37
by Gold Member on Aug. 1, 2014 at 10:49 AM
1 mom liked this

Oh sure, we COULD, but I wouldn't want to. I do a year round garden, so that wouldn't be an issue, but I only can certain foods like sauces and condiments.... we aren't crazy about canned fruits and veggies. We will eat frozen fruits in smoothies, but, I don't want to live off of smoothies and we don't eat frozen fruit by itself. Yuck.

There's also meat......While we don't eat a lot of it, I will not eat meat that has been in my freezer for more than a month.

Also, things like nuts won't last a full year and we eat a lot of them.

We also do not coupon because we don't eat foods/buy products that come with coupons.

No Thank You.

Ms.Pteranodon
by Platinum Member on Aug. 1, 2014 at 10:50 AM
We have some crazy weather. But I live on 2.5 acres of land so plenty of room for a good size garden.

Quoting Iguessiwasbad13: No room here for as real garden plus our weather is screwy
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN