Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Pet euthanasia debate

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 99 Replies
1 mom liked this
We had a patient tell us this morning that he had to euthanize his beloved dog. He said he took her down to the lake and shot her in the back of the head.

A coworker was horrified, and when the patient left told us how awful she thought that was and how she's "too much of an animal lover to hear that he shot his dog!"

I disagreed. I have seen animals die by regular injection euthanasia, and have shot them as well. I think shooting is as humane, if not more. Instant death with no stress leading up to it.

What is your opinion?
Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 1, 2014 at 11:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Texor
by Platinum Member on Aug. 1, 2014 at 11:36 AM

My bio dad shot my dog when I was six.  Fuck no, that's not humane. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 1, 2014 at 11:36 AM
If the dog was ill and suffering he simply put him out if his misery. Horses are shot on site if they break a leg or sustain other injury. It's really no different.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 1, 2014 at 11:36 AM

I agree with your coworker.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Aug. 1, 2014 at 11:38 AM

how is blowing an animals brains all over the place,instead of them falling asleep just as humane?

alsmullins7
by on Aug. 1, 2014 at 11:39 AM

I would rather leave it to the professionals. I had to take our little girl to be put down last January. I couldn't have done it myself. It was the hardest decision I have ever made. I miss her dearly. 

casah4
by Platinum Member on Aug. 1, 2014 at 11:40 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm the person who has taken two hamsters to the vet to be euthanized so...

OwlNuggets
by HAIL NUGGY! on Aug. 1, 2014 at 11:41 AM
6 moms liked this

I think as long as the animal doesn't suffer during their humane euthansia it doesn't really matter how it's done.

OwlNuggets
by HAIL NUGGY! on Aug. 1, 2014 at 11:42 AM

I can't stand to see an animal suffer no matter how small. I took my rat to get euthanized so I'm with you <3

Quoting casah4:

I'm the person who has taken two hamsters to the vet to be euthanized so...

ashellbell
by Platinum Member on Aug. 1, 2014 at 11:42 AM
1 mom liked this

I'd prefer (for my own peace of mind) to take them to the vet to be put down. It seems more peaceful and humane. Shooting a dog in the back of the noggin is just as quick and painless, it's just messier and seems more violent. I could never it myself, but if I had no other option, I'd let someone else.

Lostinindy
by Platinum Member on Aug. 1, 2014 at 11:46 AM
8 moms liked this
I live in farm country and have seen many animals shot. It sounds like he did it humanely. The end was the same without the stress of going to the vet.

To those that say different, how stressed is the aminal at the vet? It's unfamiliar and if not a place where pain is associated with. There is lots of other dogs barking adding to the stress.

This dog was in his favorite place with his owner. It was over fast no stress of what was coming.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN