Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

When did you know it was time to stop breastfeeding?

Posted by on Aug. 1, 2014 at 12:03 PM
  • 50 Replies

The Stir is looking for stories from moms on the moment they knew they were ready to stop breastfeeding. How old was your baby when you stopped, and how did you know the time was right? For instance, did you have a trip coming up and you knew you didn't want to carry the pump? Was there a day you woke up and realized you wanted your body back to yourself? Was it the day you felt a little weird about nursing in some public place? Share your story and advice for an upcoming article! Thanks so much.

by on Aug. 1, 2014 at 12:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
incogNinja
by Whofflé on Aug. 1, 2014 at 12:05 PM
Yeah it has mainly been the same with all of them. I just get tired of sharing my body. I know it's becoming normal for 5 year olds to nurse , but to me, it's gross to have a child with a mouth full of teeth and long hair walk up to me and ask to suck on my boob. The latest I weaned was 21 months.
MommaTurbo
by Bronze Member on Aug. 1, 2014 at 12:08 PM
1 mom liked this

Three of mine self-weaned. Two of them at about a year, my last baby just quit nursing at about 16 months. However...that was because I was taking a lot of allergy medication and it dried my milk up and she quit nursing because she was frustrated nothing was there. She'd still be nursing if my supply was there. 

I love nursing babies. I never quit nursing for my own personal reasons. I didn't mind pumping when I needed to, and I never felt like I was "sharing" my body. 

ZombieMeat37
by Gold Member on Aug. 1, 2014 at 12:11 PM
1 mom liked this

I let my daughter decide and was a month shy of her 4th b-day when she said she was done.

katnjake
by Member on Aug. 1, 2014 at 12:12 PM

6 months, once teeth were in. Sorry, I'm not a chew toy. Getting bit only happened once each kid and that was enough for me.

owl0210
by Emerald Member on Aug. 1, 2014 at 12:12 PM
When I returned to work.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Zombie.Girl
by on Aug. 1, 2014 at 12:13 PM

Mine self-weaned. They both were around 10-12 months old.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Aug. 1, 2014 at 12:15 PM

My first just stopped at 4 months. I continued to pump for 2 more months and then my supply just couldn't keep up. With my second, he nursed for 3 months until I went back to work and I went back on the pill. My supply dropped dramatically and I couldn't keep it up. 

Noahs-Mom
by Member on Aug. 1, 2014 at 12:18 PM
1 mom liked this

my oldest stopped on his own at 2.5mo. I was so sad, I really felt I had failed him somehow. 

When we had my youngest I was determined to make BFing work with him. He weaned himself just before his 3rd birthday. 

KendraCay
by Member on Aug. 1, 2014 at 12:23 PM

Around 2 years I was getting "touched out" so I started cutting out nursing sessions. Only cut out a 1-2. She nursed until she was 3 years 7 months. We had worked our way down to 1 nursing session a night, just before bed. She went for a weekend trip to my mothers and that was it, never nursed again.

Serabeth06
by on Aug. 1, 2014 at 12:24 PM

I nurse until they don't want to nurse anymore. My children weaned themselves. All I did was offer alternatives and the breast, and in their own time, they wanted to nurse less and less, and be more independent. My DD was 13 months old when she weaned, she only wanted milk in a cup and to eat at the table. My DS was about 18 months old when he weaned, and most of the last 4 months was only night nursing because he had some sleep issues. Eventually, he just wanted a hug and kiss if he woke up at night, or a drink of water in a cup. They just sort'f quit asking for it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)