Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

do step moms have any custodial rights?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 19 Replies

lol so i have been with my husband for 7 1/2 years. He has a son who is 8 years old and he has had full custody of him since his son was 6 months old the mom just didnt want to be a mom which i still dont understand but i love him as my own we also have a 5 year old and a 2 year old together. My husband got incarcerated a little over a month ago. My step son my 5 year old and 2 year old have resited with me since the incarceration. I let my step sons grandma pick him up today for the weekend (his biological mothers mom) as she always does every other weekend. My husbands mother (whos has never worked a day in her life and is a control freak) told my husband over the phone that on sunday my 8 year old step son will not be dropped off with me that he will be dropped off with her at her house and will stay there until my husband is released and then he will be back with us. I'm thinking do i have any rights since i am his wife and have had physical custody of him and my two other shared children? It doesnt make any sense to put a kid through all those changes when hes all ready going through enough with his dad not being here right? All hes ever known is me and his dad and his siblings so this isnt right.. right? im so confused right now.. dont know what to do or where to go from here.. so if anybody out there has any advice for my situation please tell! thank you for your time and considerations..<3

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 1, 2014 at 5:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Aug. 1, 2014 at 5:28 PM

I don't know the answer. But why haven't you tried to adopt him all these years since biomom is not involved? Then you would for sure have rights. I feel sorry for your kids that dad has gone away to jail. Not a pleasant situation.

MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Aug. 1, 2014 at 5:30 PM

And did you call the state penn and tell your DH what his mom is up to? Maybe he can talk some sense into her.

sarastanley88
by Bronze Member on Aug. 1, 2014 at 5:30 PM
Yes but you'll need a lawyer.
AustinsMommy007
by Gold Member on Aug. 1, 2014 at 5:31 PM
1 mom liked this
I would contact the non emergency police line and ask then they may know and if need be can go with you to pick him up.

Poor kid :-/ he needs the stability of your home especially right now
opinionatedmom
by Platinum Member on Aug. 1, 2014 at 5:31 PM
Bump
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 1, 2014 at 5:32 PM
Idk if you do but I do know that grandma doesn't have any rights to the child.
boricua3177
by Monica on Aug. 1, 2014 at 5:34 PM
I would go to the courthouse & file for custody asap. Does your dh have court ordered custody? If so, tell him what his mom is up to & tell him you are filing for custody so that his family can't pull any dumb shit. Serve your dh & his mom with custody papers. Have your dh write a letter that he wants you to have custody while he is incarcerated.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
booaura
by Platinum Member on Aug. 1, 2014 at 5:34 PM
Depends on the state. Why haven't you adopted him though? My oldest isn't biologically mine, but I adopted him as soon as I was able to to avoid any issues ever arising.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Momniscient
by Ruby Member on Aug. 1, 2014 at 5:40 PM

No.

SM's do not have custodial rights.

The law will have to get involved. And biomom has every right to petition for custody.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 1, 2014 at 6:22 PM

bump

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN