Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Would you be mad if the baby sitter ...

Posted by on Aug. 2, 2014 at 3:22 AM
  • 47 Replies
Put your kids in time out???

A friend of mine just told me she was fired from her baby sitting job because she put 2 girls in a corner and made them hug as punishment .

The little girls (sisters 7 and 9) are constantly physically hitting each other, pulling hair, spitting . The mom told her to tell them what they did wrong, hug it out and go back to playing . When that didn't work she made them stand in the corner for 7mins . When that didn't work, she made them hug each other . She wouldn't let them let go of each other until they both stopped resisting and actually gave each other real hugs . Those two methods actually worked and the girls behavior improved . The other day the mother told her she didn't know what she did but she was glad it worked . When the baby sitter told the mom her method the mother was pissed, and fired her on the spot . Would you have been mad ? or ? How do you expect a sitter to handle your child's bad behavior ?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 2, 2014 at 3:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Misery_Stitches
by Silver Member on Aug. 2, 2014 at 3:25 AM
6 moms liked this
I think she sounds like a great sitter... that mother was an idiot!
eykelley
by Gold Member on Aug. 2, 2014 at 3:25 AM
1 mom liked this
Heck no! Thats awesome. My bff who babysits for me is awesome with discipline and i'd totally go for it. It wasnt like she spanked them.
heckno
by on Aug. 2, 2014 at 3:27 AM
She sounds awesome. I hope anyone who watches my kids corrects them when they're acting like brats. Time outs are definitely ok in my book. Hugging even more so.
SendMeBabyDust
by Platinum Member on Aug. 2, 2014 at 3:28 AM
I thought so lol .

Quoting Misery_Stitches: I think she sounds like a great sitter... that mother was an idiot!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
curious1145
by Silver Member on Aug. 2, 2014 at 3:28 AM
1 mom liked this
No, I wouldn't be mad. That woman sounds looney tunes. It was non-abusive and worked. It was very close to what the mother said to do.
Summerlion1123
by Platinum Member on Aug. 2, 2014 at 3:29 AM
1 mom liked this
Nope, I'd have thought that was great. I don't want little brats, and also if the babysitter can't punish than they will never behave for her.

Now, if it was a punishment over something stupid I might be upset.
tossed
by Platinum Member on Aug. 2, 2014 at 3:30 AM
1 mom liked this

I would not be mad. I think the sitter was totally appropriate.

SendMeBabyDust
She definitely wouldn't hit them, but she has had to pry them off one another . I told her to make them stand up, kids hate being still lol . When she called me I was a little shocked .

Quoting eykelley: Heck no! Thats awesome. My bff who babysits for me is awesome with discipline and i'd totally go for it. It wasnt like she spanked them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SendMeBabyDust
Exactly .

Quoting heckno: She sounds awesome. I hope anyone who watches my kids corrects them when they're acting like brats. Time outs are definitely ok in my book. Hugging even more so.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lilmama31709
by Silver Member on Aug. 2, 2014 at 3:30 AM
2 moms liked this
Wait...she fired her for putting her kids in time out? That's fucking ludicrous.

When it comes to babysitters, I don't use one very often but when I do, my son knows he better be on his best behavior. We have a 3 strikes your out rule and I've taught the babysitter.
1.) time out 1 minute for every year he is.
2.) lose a privilege for the rest of the day/night.
3.)you spend the rest of the day (if it's daytime) in your room. You can come out to eat or use the bathroom and get ready for bed.

We've only gotten to strike #3 twice in the year since we implemented it. Our former babysitter (she retired) is the one who helped us implement it. It works really well for us.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)