Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Do you live in an area where you can....

Posted by on Aug. 2, 2014 at 1:13 PM
  • 204 Replies
1 mom liked this

Forage for wild berries and fruit?

This is so new to me this year after moving to the Seattle area but my kids think it's the greatest thing ever. We bought a book to learn what we can and what we can't eat. We go hiking, biking, or just specifically out to "forage" lol We found an apple tree last week, but they aren't ready yet. Mostly we find huckleberries, oregon grapes, blackberries, rosehips, and cherries....so far.

*If you are intersted in forgagin in your area someone has posted this link for me to share. :) Happy foraging.

LINK

Falling Fruit is a massive, collaborative map of the urban harvest. Uniting the efforts of foragers, foresters, and freegans everywhere, the map already points to over a half million food-producing locations around the world (from plants and fungi to water wells and dumpsters). Our rapidly growing user community is actively exploring, editing, and adding to the map. 

Join us in celebrating the overlooked bounty of our city streets! Use the site anonymously or sign up for an account to access additional features.

by on Aug. 2, 2014 at 1:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
DLMsMommy
by Silver Member on Aug. 2, 2014 at 1:14 PM
I found a wild plum tree in my back yard... Does that count? :)
ELKmountain.mom
by Peepers on Aug. 2, 2014 at 1:14 PM
That is awesome, not here! Lucky
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Aug. 2, 2014 at 1:15 PM

Not really. I live in a major, over populated, large city. We have parks but no berries to pick.

AvantGardener
by extremely humble on Aug. 2, 2014 at 1:15 PM

That would be awesome! Sure why not! It's wild.

Quoting DLMsMommy: I found a wild plum tree in my back yard... Does that count? :)

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 2, 2014 at 1:15 PM
1 mom liked this
Yes.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 2, 2014 at 1:15 PM
I wish I still did, every summer we went up to California and my cousins and I would go pick blackberries
tinybluemoon
by Platinum Member on Aug. 2, 2014 at 1:15 PM
1 mom liked this

We have a blackberry bush in our garden if that counts...

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Aug. 2, 2014 at 1:16 PM
I don't think so. I'm in Phoenix, AZ.
AvantGardener
by extremely humble on Aug. 2, 2014 at 1:17 PM

Back home if I saw something growing I would have never thought to eat it. I would have thought if it was edible it belonged to someone. It's so cool here, the blackberries grow literally everywhere. And we've found blueberries on the side of the bike trail. The first time I saw fruit growing my daughter asked if we could eat it and I was scared to. I went and bought a book so we could identify what was a no go. I've already eaten something gross on accident. Never eat a twin berry. If wa so nasty.

Quoting ELKmountain.mom: That is awesome, not here! Lucky

Jodee24
by Gold Member on Aug. 2, 2014 at 1:18 PM
1 mom liked this
That's awesome!! Just blackberries here
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN