Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

do I lack parenting strategies or are most 3 y olds like this?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I can't do ANYTHING while my son is awake.NOTHING.I am almost not even able to go to the bathroom , cook or even make a phone call. By the time he is alseep, I am exhausted and cleaning, ironing,etc rarely get done.

He has been sick for 2 days and therefore, I allowed him to use the ipad.He knows we ONLY use it when we have to wait a long time at the dr or when he has a fever.Well yesterday he was down and he was on the couch next to me with a few apps on my ipad. I set the timer and I told him that when those 15 minutes ended, we were going to do arts and crafts. I wanted to finish a movie i had started watching 3 nights before so I turned the tv on. he threw a tantrum as he wanted the TV.yes, not just the ipad but also the tv. this is just an example of what he does all the time. When i take 15 minutes for him to play with something so that I can cook, make a phone or just have 15 m for me, he wants to do what I am doing. Lately I can't even shower as he wants a shower with mommy. The terrible twos were NOTHING. he turned 3 two weeks ao and he is moe demanding than ever...

I let him help in the kitchen, vaccuum, help with dishes and laundry....but he ends up making more mess than what I woud do withiut his help.

i am exhausted

do I really lack strategies or are some 3 y olds like that?

some of the moms in our playgroup told me their kids are pretty much the same and at 6 pm when hubby comes, they get all done and give the kid to daddy but I can't do that.it is just me

helpppppppppppppppppppppppp

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 2, 2014 at 4:07 PM
Replies (11-20):
Des10ed2b
by Gold Member on Aug. 2, 2014 at 4:19 PM

i dont know why they call it the terrible 2's. 3 is sooooooo much worse! they are still young enough to want your snuggles, but old enough to have an opinion and start talking back!

Keara20
by Platinum Member on Aug. 2, 2014 at 4:19 PM
I hate 3. Dd doesn't even turn 3 for another month and it started a month ago. 3 sucks, 3 sucks, 3 suuuuuucks!!!!!!!!!!!!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 2, 2014 at 4:20 PM
My youngest is 3 and she is opinionated, but sometimes she has days where she wants my attention but not all the time. She's pretty easy going, but we aren't as structured as you are.
sam12796
by Platinum Member on Aug. 2, 2014 at 4:20 PM
Threes are the worst!! It gets much better by age 5. Stick to your guns don't give in. But also pick the important battles because if told no over everything it looses value.
meaghan116
by Bronze Member on Aug. 2, 2014 at 4:21 PM
My almost 3 yo always says "where" not why.. Drives me nuts!!

You have fun today?
Where?

I'm going to work now..
Where?

Eat your eggs!
Where

AHHHHJ

Quoting Anonymous:

what about selective hearing? I can ask him 100 times "Did you get hurt"? or anything and he will just ignore me

Quoting nocalmegan: My three year is the same. Tantrums, meltdowns, mouthy. Mean to her sister. Asks me "why" four million times a day lol.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 2, 2014 at 4:21 PM
No sorry my children were capable of entertaining themselves for decent periods of time at 3.
suzanneyea
by Ruby Member on Aug. 2, 2014 at 4:21 PM

My son is two, but he plays quietly by himself while I clean or work out.

MedicMommy2
by Silver Member on Aug. 2, 2014 at 4:21 PM

Don't show your stress. Once I stopped yelling and just had a nonchilant attitude like "oh well these are the rules" they stopped getting the reaction they wanted. They got "oh I am sorry you are upset but I need you to stop carrying on and use your words or you can go to the other room until you are done. You are not allowed to ruin everyone elses time because you are not happy." Then go about what I am doing. I never stopped what I was doing because of a fit, I also planned things in 15 min intervals. Like it takes me about 15 min to do dishes, straighten up the kitchen and semi prep dinner. Then I would take 5 or 10 min to do whatever I had them doing with them then I would get up and do something else. Once I totally took away their ability to choose the tv channel the whole "I want to watch this not that" ended. Just stay calm and carry on he will follow suit. 

Quoting Anonymous:

we already have some rules but it stresses me out so much

Quoting MedicMommy2:

Threes definately suck but I was able to get things done. My son was much easier at three than my daughter who is now four. I had strict rules and boundries and I stuck to them no matter what. Tantrums get you sent to another room by yourself until you are ready to act appropriately. Not letting me get things done gets you sent to another room to sit. I always set them up doing something that would and should keep them entertained while I cooked or cleaned or whatever but if they chose not to then they could sit. I think because they grew up with tthese rules it was easier on them. 

meaghan116
by Bronze Member on Aug. 2, 2014 at 4:23 PM
Sounds about right with the iPad/ tv thing.

But no she can entertain herself why I do chores - she always wants to "help" which slows me down quite a bit lol.

The tantrums sound normal but you need to show him he has to wait sometimes - you can't put your daily life on hold for him!
elkmomma
by on Aug. 2, 2014 at 4:25 PM

BOTH

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)