Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

do I lack parenting strategies or are most 3 y olds like this?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I can't do ANYTHING while my son is awake.NOTHING.I am almost not even able to go to the bathroom , cook or even make a phone call. By the time he is alseep, I am exhausted and cleaning, ironing,etc rarely get done.

He has been sick for 2 days and therefore, I allowed him to use the ipad.He knows we ONLY use it when we have to wait a long time at the dr or when he has a fever.Well yesterday he was down and he was on the couch next to me with a few apps on my ipad. I set the timer and I told him that when those 15 minutes ended, we were going to do arts and crafts. I wanted to finish a movie i had started watching 3 nights before so I turned the tv on. he threw a tantrum as he wanted the TV.yes, not just the ipad but also the tv. this is just an example of what he does all the time. When i take 15 minutes for him to play with something so that I can cook, make a phone or just have 15 m for me, he wants to do what I am doing. Lately I can't even shower as he wants a shower with mommy. The terrible twos were NOTHING. he turned 3 two weeks ao and he is moe demanding than ever...

I let him help in the kitchen, vaccuum, help with dishes and laundry....but he ends up making more mess than what I woud do withiut his help.

i am exhausted

do I really lack strategies or are some 3 y olds like that?

some of the moms in our playgroup told me their kids are pretty much the same and at 6 pm when hubby comes, they get all done and give the kid to daddy but I can't do that.it is just me

helpppppppppppppppppppppppp

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 2, 2014 at 4:07 PM
Replies (21-30):
iamcafemom83
by Ruby Member on Aug. 2, 2014 at 4:25 PM
3's are far worse than 2 ' s :( it does get better...around age 6 lol

anyways why can't you hand off to dad in the evening? I am assuming you live with your SO.

This probably won't put me in the best light, but I definitely turned on the TV excessively at times during that age.with that being said, I also drew boundaries when it came to mine demanding to do things when I did not want them to. If they threw a fit, I'd redirect or do a time out.

Be sure and take time for yourself to recharge during this sucks phase. You'll need all your strength!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Aug. 2, 2014 at 4:26 PM
They warn you about the terrible twos but they don't tell you about the hellish threes. Lol
I have twins that are 3 and they test my limits and then some. Keep hanging on!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 2, 2014 at 4:27 PM
Single mom. That's the only reason

Quoting iamcafemom83: 3's are far worse than 2 ' s :( it does get better...around age 6 lol

anyways why can't you hand off to dad in the evening? I am assuming you live with your SO.

This probably won't put me in the best light, but I definitely turned on the TV excessively at times during that age.with that being said, I also drew boundaries when it came to mine demanding to do things when I did not want them to. If they threw a fit, I'd redirect or do a time out.

Be sure and take time for yourself to recharge during this sucks phase. You'll need all your strength!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 2, 2014 at 4:28 PM
Tantrums, whining and questions are all very normal for that age. However it sounds like you give in to his whims often which makes the situation worse. Learn to just say "no" more often. Can he help you cook? Yes, on occasion but not every meal! Same with cleaning and watching TV. It's your house and you run it, but him.
iamcafemom83
by Ruby Member on Aug. 2, 2014 at 4:29 PM
Oh ok. I thought you meant that you prefer not to hand off:) I was like what why not

Anyways. Hang in there!

Quoting Anonymous: Single mom. That's the only reason

Quoting iamcafemom83: 3's are far worse than 2 ' s :( it does get better...around age 6 lol

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Aug. 2, 2014 at 4:30 PM

I'm not sure why so many moms have this type of problem.  I never did.  My kids never ran my life or my house.  They were contained while I got things done. They were entertained only by television for a very short amount of time.  They had rules, limits, and learned almost from birth what they could and could not do. 
Parenting starts the moment you find out your are pregnant. 

staci1103
by Gold Member on Aug. 2, 2014 at 4:32 PM

Ugh three year olds!!!  Sooo much worse than 2 yr olds IMO.

nocalmegan
by Ruby Member on Aug. 2, 2014 at 4:34 PM
Oh yes that too. Except she will look me straight in my face and ask "what you say?" Even tho I know she heard me all three times.

Quoting Anonymous:

what about selective hearing? I can ask him 100 times "Did you get hurt"? or anything and he will just ignore me

Quoting nocalmegan: My three year is the same. Tantrums, meltdowns, mouthy. Mean to her sister. Asks me "why" four million times a day lol.

nocalmegan
by Ruby Member on Aug. 2, 2014 at 4:35 PM
Lol awesome that you had perfect kids, but most of us were blessed with perfectly normal rebellious 3 years old. Mine doesn't run anything in my house but she still acts like a NORMAL three year old.

Quoting Anonymous:

I'm not sure why so many moms have this type of problem.  I never did.  My kids never ran my life or my house.  They were contained while I got things done. They were entertained only by television for a very short amount of time.  They had rules, limits, and learned almost from birth what they could and could not do.  Parenting starts the moment you find out your are pregnant. 

caito
by Ruby Member on Aug. 2, 2014 at 4:37 PM

Time for some tough love. By the time my daughter was 3, I straight up told her I needed ten minutes to myself. 

It's totally normal though. Most kids haven't learned autonomy yet.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN