Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Potty training problems.. Could really use some hel

Posted by on Aug. 3, 2014 at 10:00 AM
  • 53 Replies
Oookay. My ds is 2. He will be 3 in November. Potty training has been really slow going for us. Okay, here's the problem..

When we first started, I made him a big sticker chart that we put on the wall. Made a bid deal out of it, he helped put the stickers up, all that stuff.. well, after about one or two times, he was completely uninterested in the chart. He pretty much completely stopped going even with underwear on and frequent trips to the potty. So.. my Dh started giving him an m&m when he would potty. WORST. IDEA. EVER. EEEVER.
Now he will only sit and go on the potty if he wants a piece of candy. I'll try to deflect and just cheer him on and talk to him on the potty, but he throws a fit. So.. it's just pretty much a disaster at this point. He's almost completely stopped peeing on the potty except once maybe twice a day. Won't poop on the potty at all. I have another baby due in November, so I would really like to get this knocked out by then. Not just because I don't want two in diapers, but also because by three I was hoping to be diaper free.
by on Aug. 3, 2014 at 10:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mrsrodgers0703
by Ruby Member on Aug. 3, 2014 at 10:03 AM
Bump
mrsrodgers0703
by Ruby Member on Aug. 3, 2014 at 10:03 AM
Bump
PaintedBlack
by Member on Aug. 3, 2014 at 10:04 AM
I've had a hard time potty training as well. I bought ds one of those mess free coloring books with markers. He will sit there and color but I have been unsuccessful so far...he hasn't went at all. He just turned 2 in June.
mrsrodgers0703
by Ruby Member on Aug. 3, 2014 at 10:06 AM
Bump
cadditalbrat
by Gold Member on Aug. 3, 2014 at 10:07 AM
Apparently I messed up with potty training my youngest :( he wanted to be potty trained but DH thought it would be better to wait until it was warm outside (I have no idea what that has to do with potty training but MIL said it so DH agreed) and now he won't even try to go potty
mrsrodgers0703
by Ruby Member on Aug. 3, 2014 at 10:08 AM
We have a potty book that he will sit and look at, but not for long.

Quoting PaintedBlack: I've had a hard time potty training as well. I bought ds one of those mess free coloring books with markers. He will sit there and color but I have been unsuccessful so far...he hasn't went at all. He just turned 2 in June.
mrsrodgers0703
by Ruby Member on Aug. 3, 2014 at 10:09 AM
That's frustrating, I'm sorry :/ I've never heard of waiting until warm weather.

Quoting cadditalbrat: Apparently I messed up with potty training my youngest :( he wanted to be potty trained but DH thought it would be better to wait until it was warm outside (I have no idea what that has to do with potty training but MIL said it so DH agreed) and now he won't even try to go potty
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Aug. 3, 2014 at 10:11 AM
My daughter is almost 4, we still struggle with accidents. My youngest is almost 2, guess we are going to start her soon too. Can you try a big present he wants. Put it up high let him know when he goes ___ long be can have the prize??
cadditalbrat
by Gold Member on Aug. 3, 2014 at 10:12 AM
Yeah it is :( I even bought him regular underwear ( its what helped potty train my oldest two) and I spent a week taking him to the bathroom literally every 5 minutes and he would sit on the potty for a few minutes then get off and then turn around and pee

Quoting mrsrodgers0703: That's frustrating, I'm sorry :/ I've never heard of waiting until warm weather.

Quoting cadditalbrat: Apparently I messed up with potty training my youngest :( he wanted to be potty trained but DH thought it would be better to wait until it was warm outside (I have no idea what that has to do with potty training but MIL said it so DH agreed) and now he won't even try to go potty
mrsrodgers0703
by Ruby Member on Aug. 3, 2014 at 10:14 AM
I've tried something similar. Not with the potty, but with other stuff and he just doesn't really grasp the concept yet. He thinks I'm just taunting him with a prize he can't have lol...

Quoting Anonymous: My daughter is almost 4, we still struggle with accidents. My youngest is almost 2, guess we are going to start her soon too. Can you try a big present he wants. Put it up high let him know when he goes ___ long be can have the prize??
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)