Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I don't live a hectic life, and it irritates me when people try to glorify theirs

Posted by on Aug. 3, 2014 at 10:22 AM
  • 81 Replies
6 moms liked this

With 3 children (14, 13, 11), there are some hectic times.  This weekend was one of them.  It was middle child's birthday, along with school shopping, plus paying first of the month bills.  It's a miracle we got it all done.  It was very stressful on myself, DF, & the kids.  One of the kids asked me last night what time we had to be up this morning, and I said she could sleep in because there were no plans for today.  She was so happy!  Now I'm sitting here on Sunday morning decompressing, and it's nice.  I have no plans for today aside from cooking dinner later.

Hectic times like this are rare in my household, thank god.

I see people posting/talking about their lives that tend to be like this all the time, most of the time, or even more often than not, and I don't know how they do it.  I wouldn't be happy if my life was like that, I would be in a constant state of stress & emotional turmoil.  I don't know how their kids do it.  I don't know how their kids can emotionally develop and become a whole, happy individual without enough (or ANY) time to just "be".

I don't think kids benefit from a full schedule, or even a mostly full schedule.  There's this mentality that if you keep your kids busy, you will keep them out of trouble.  Maybe.  But you are also keeping them from being themselves & being happy.  You are raising robots that know how to perform task after task, go from point A to point B, and function for max efficiency.  You are sacrificing their happiness and individuality for that.  It seems like a bum deal to me.

My oldest has a friend like that.  She's been trying to get her to come over to the house & play for years, or vice versa.  The kid wants to--so, so bad, but there's never enough time in her schedule.  The kid is sad--not in a blatant way, but it definitely shows through.  Poor thing.

Bash away!

It is not what you do for your children, but what you have taught them to do for themselves, that will make them successful human beings.

Also, a little video games never hurt.

by on Aug. 3, 2014 at 10:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Young_Mommy89
by Gold Member on Aug. 3, 2014 at 10:31 AM
Me and my sil were just discussing this yesterday. We didn't understand how someone could juggle work, school, kids and housework. I would be exhausted and between your work and school and their school WHEN do you see your kids? When is there time for housework. ..no thank you.
OwlNuggets
by HAIL NUGGY! on Aug. 3, 2014 at 10:36 AM
2 moms liked this

My life is chill as fuck but it took a lot of effort on our parts to get to where we're at right now.

Now my days are spent in a lovely paid-off home surrounded by our lovely things and I get to kick back and enjoy my infant son Roman and watch our gorgeous daughter Kyrie enjoy her childhood.

ahhhhh, the good life.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Aug. 3, 2014 at 10:36 AM

It';s hard when life does get hectic mine is like that during the school year between work, home and gardening, I like our down time when we get it.

presmom1
by New Member on Aug. 3, 2014 at 10:38 AM

I agree with you. On Sundays we don't do anything in our home. This is our veg out day. Watch tv, surf the net, read a book, shower or not shower. We sit outside and relax, weather permitting(we live in Houston and it can get uncomfortable in the summers) play video games. Just do whatever we feel like. I love turning on the hallmark channel and lay in bed all day. 

doomshroom
by Gold Member on Aug. 3, 2014 at 10:39 AM
2 moms liked this
I'm way too laid back for all of that.
Life is short. Some people try to cram as much stuff into it as they can. I'm just trying to enjoy the ride. :)
dawnnamarie
by Ruby Member on Aug. 3, 2014 at 10:40 AM
You do what you have to.

Personally, If I don't have something going on basically all the time, I get bored.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 3, 2014 at 10:40 AM

summer is not so hectic, but during the school year is very hectic for us. eh to me its better then being a homebody with no life at all.

MommyOfOne2710
by Gold Member on Aug. 3, 2014 at 10:42 AM
We're not really struggling anymore, but life will be hectic until I finish school. I don't complain about my life because I'm the one who made these decisions and did things backwards.

Thankfully, though, my fiance and I both have a strong bond with our son and he is very happy and healthy. It gets crazy but we always pull through somehow. I look forward to the days when I have RN behind my name and I won't have to worry so much about how the heck I'm going to go to school and work AND raise a child.
almburr
by Platinum Member on Aug. 3, 2014 at 10:42 AM
My life is pretty laid back. Not wild and crazy too much. We were watching wife swap one time and the kids said. Mom you should do that. I looked at my kids and said. That other mom would be bored out of her mind.

We have our moment if chaos. But nothing so wild and crazy. Even with five kids it smooth sailing.
LokisMama
by Platinum Member on Aug. 3, 2014 at 10:42 AM

My life isn't hectic, per say, but it is busy.  I have to stay busy or I start getting neurotic. Even when I'm sitting at my computer, I'm doing two or three things at once to keep my mind occupied.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN