Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Has anyone gone straight from a crib to twin bed?

Posted by on Aug. 3, 2014 at 12:35 PM
  • 197 Replies
1 mom liked this
If so, how old was your child and how well did the transition go?

I'm getting ready to move my almost 18 month old into a big boy bed. The bedroom we are putting him in already has a very nice twin bedroom set. I was thinking about leaving it and just getting a bed rail.

Right now, Raymond has no issues going to bed or taking naps. When he gets tired, he actually walks up to his crib and tries to climb in. I think he will do okay, but I may not be taking all things into consideration.
by on Aug. 3, 2014 at 12:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
zacmacsmomm
by Gold Member on Aug. 3, 2014 at 12:38 PM
4 moms liked this

My mom bought a toddler bed when my son was little and both kids used it.  But either way the transition was fine.  Granted my daughter fell out of bed all the time, even with the rail lol.  So we just put blankets and bears on the floor so she had a cushy landing :)

goldpandora
by Silver Member on Aug. 3, 2014 at 12:39 PM
6 moms liked this

I did. Only they didn't go directly to the bed. They spent a while sleeping on the mattress on the floor to get an idea of how it was done. Once the bed was added beneath, there was no problem.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Aug. 3, 2014 at 12:41 PM
1 mom liked this
We did, it went fine!
theloudhouse
by Bronze Member on Aug. 3, 2014 at 12:42 PM
That's what we did.

Quoting goldpandora:

I did. Only they didn't go directly to the bed. They spent a while sleeping on the mattress on the floor to get an idea of how it was done. Once the bed was added beneath, there was no problem.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 3, 2014 at 12:42 PM
Youngest Ds went straight to the bottom bunk in his brothers room. He's been fine.
summerlove3677
by Platinum Member on Aug. 3, 2014 at 12:44 PM
1 mom liked this
We did it. I got a railing for the bed. One side of the bed was against the wall while the railing was on the other side.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 3, 2014 at 12:44 PM
We have 5 and 4 did toddler beds, my youngest refused to sleep in her princess toddler bed and I would find her in my other daughters twin bed. So we sold the princess bed and bought bunk beds. She's never fallen off in 3 years
jessi2girls
by Ruby Member on Aug. 3, 2014 at 12:45 PM

Yes.. I just got a plywood board (cut to size)to act as a box spring mattress so the bed was lower to the ground, and put up a bed rail.. stored the box spring until she was a little older.. she now has the box spring in her bed, but still has the bed rail (she's 3 now). and her frame is adjustable.. so it's two inches shorter than her sisters bed right now.. 

My oldest hardly used her toddler bed at all.. and did better when we finally just went with a twin bed for her.. 

momto2boys973
by Ruby Member on Aug. 3, 2014 at 12:45 PM
3 moms liked this
I did. I wasn't even aware there's a transition thing between the 2. What would you move a child to of not a twin bed?
Anyway, my boys were about 2 y/o when they moved to their beds. Both times it was no biggie. I let them choose their "big boy bedding" so they were excited to finally use that. I guess that helped.
mewebb82
by Gold Member on Aug. 3, 2014 at 12:45 PM
I did with my oldest. His twin bed had rails on it that could be removed when he got older. He did great. We had a few rough nights in the beginning, but I just put him back in bed and walked out a few times and he finally stayed and went to sleep. He was 2.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)