Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

expensive shoes over school supplies?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 64 Replies
I was talking to a friend who is a reacher the other day about supplies and how much she spends on children who don't bring them in. She said that last year a student was bragging that his mom spent $200 on his shoes and how great they were. A week went by and no supplies. She sent a note home with the list attached only for the mom to call and say she couldn't afford the supplies. Why would you do that? Supplies are more important than a pair of shoes that will be outgrown in a year. Anyone else splurge on clothes and leave the supplies to the teacher?
Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 3, 2014 at 2:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 3, 2014 at 2:20 PM
1 mom liked this
It all about people priorities. She figured someone would pay for the school supplies but her snowflake would have awesome sneakers. I think people who buy sneakers like that or kill people for sneakers are sub human. I'm sure she is on welfare too.
teenkabear
by Silver Member on Aug. 3, 2014 at 2:22 PM

Not me!!  I bought *everything* that my kids needed, as well as the "would appreciate" items (tissues, hand sanitizers, dry erase markers).  That mother is an idiot.  Sounds like mine.  This is why I haven't spoken to her for almost a year.

Grow up, people, and learn what priorities are!!

quickbooksworm
by Ruby Member on Aug. 3, 2014 at 2:22 PM
School supplies are the first thing I buy. Then shoes. Then clothes. If money is tight I know I can stretch clothes out over time so I worry about supplies and shoes first.

My kid is also very reasonable about shoes. He only wants Skechers and the store does buy one get one 50% off so we got 2 pairs for $45.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 3, 2014 at 2:23 PM
Some people think its all about how you look that is important which is sad. She also probally assumed and took advantage of teachers paying for supplies because some do help out.
ImNotKarl
by Also Not Paul on Aug. 3, 2014 at 2:24 PM

My kids aren't in school yet, but I grew up poor and am very practical when it comes to where money is spent. School supplies and anything regarding education come first. Period. Shoes and clothes can be bought cheap or second-hand, and we can get better ones later, but education is super important and I would not be ok with relying on someone else to provide my child with their basic supplies so I could buy nice shoes. Thoes are priorities are whack.

Ask me how you can be of at least average intelligence!

shamillionaire
by Gold Member on Aug. 3, 2014 at 2:26 PM
I would never buy my 11 year old $200 shoes! He ruins shoes so quick! I always buy brand name shoes but they are on sale. I make sure he has all school supplies and double up on certain things, like pencils, paper, glue sticks, etc.
nikabear
by Gold Member on Aug. 3, 2014 at 2:26 PM
That's sad........
Miranda1127
by Platinum Member on Aug. 3, 2014 at 2:27 PM
1 mom liked this
Supplies cost like $10-$25 assuming electronics are not needed, there's no excuse to not buy them.
Texor
by Platinum Member on Aug. 3, 2014 at 2:28 PM

You know, the kid could have also been BSing to get attention.  Kids have been known to do that.  I would not take anything a kid said at face value.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 3, 2014 at 2:32 PM
If you know brands its not hard to figure it out. They were in fact $200.

Quoting Texor:

You know, the kid could have also been BSing to get attention.  Kids have been known to do that.  I would not take anything a kid said at face value.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN