Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

HELP!! Kid/school related.. **edit**

Posted by on Aug. 3, 2014 at 4:10 PM
  • 20 Replies

This is a two part issue, and I am flummoxed at how to help my kiddo actually LIKE school.  He hates it, feels he is forced to go and he doesn't want too BUT he knows he needs an education to get anywhere in life but just HATES school.  He is smart so grades aren't really an issue, he just hates it... 

How on earth can I get this kiddo to actually think positively about school instead of his attitude that he is basically being sent to prison every day.. LOL How?!?!?!?!?  (he starts high school this year)

Second part, my oldest has to be home schooled (or online learning) due to medical issues (he is immune compromised due to a BMT) and wont be able to go to an actual school for about 6mo to a year.  What the heck am I gonna do? I know my limitations and that much patience is not one of my stronger points.  How would you go about homeschooling or supervising online learning?? I know he can keep up with his grade level, that is not an issue, but how would you deal with it? 

**EDIT**

My eldest is 15 going on 50, he is in the gifted/advanced placement program, the youngest is 14 and SHOULD be in the same program but due to boredom he checks out and doesn't turn in his homework and what he does turn in is half assed at best.  No amount of nagging/grounding/taking things away works with him.  Once he hits that level of boredom he only tries on tests, quizzes that is it.  Homework and classwork are left in the dust.  

He was evaluated in 8th grade and they figured him to be in the 98th percentile for learning and he SHOULD be in advanced stuff, but most schools have a GPA policy and if he doesn't make the GPA he wont be in them.  No exceptions

by on Aug. 3, 2014 at 4:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
alexsmomaubrys2
by Ruby Member on Aug. 3, 2014 at 4:13 PM

Can your child that hates school be homeschooled too?

I loved homeschooling my kids, it takes some getting use to but can be very beneficial to everyone involved.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Aug. 3, 2014 at 4:14 PM

The child that hates school is most likely bored.  He needs to take more challenging classes instead of taking the easy way out.  Once he is challenged, he'll begin to learn and realize that school can be fun.

For the homeschool child, he is obviously in HS based on your OP.  If you use an online program like K-12, there isn't much that you will have to do.  A HS should be able to do that with no outside help.

betsyabel
by Bronze Member on Aug. 3, 2014 at 4:19 PM

My 13 year old was the same way about school. I finally pulled him out of our public school and got him into online school in 6th grade, it's been a blessing. He is doing amazing and his whole attitude changed. Depending on which online school you choose, you really just need to check that things are getting done. It sounds like yours is old enough to do it himself. I usually just stay in the same room that my son is in "attending" his online classes and he does the rest. I will say you can tell the difference between the kids who are paying attention to class and the ones who aren't. And that's just from what I hear coming from his computer (things the teacher is saying)

Pixers
by Silver Member on Aug. 3, 2014 at 4:22 PM

I honestly do NOT have the patience to home school, I actually tried to a few years back and it just wasn't for us.  I don't have the patience, I wish I did but sadly.. yeah no.. it isn't cut out for everyone.  

Quoting alexsmomaubrys2:

Can your child that hates school be home schooled too?

I loved homeschooling my kids, it takes some getting use to but can be very beneficial to everyone involved.

Pixers
by Silver Member on Aug. 3, 2014 at 4:24 PM

He is VERY bored, he should be in advanced placement/gifted type learning but he wont keep his grades high enough to get in.  Once he gets bored he checks out, he tests amazingly high, but because he fails the homework portion... yeah 

Quoting Anonymous:

The child that hates school is most likely bored.  He needs to take more challenging classes instead of taking the easy way out.  Once he is challenged, he'll begin to learn and realize that school can be fun.

For the homeschool child, he is obviously in HS based on your OP.  If you use an online program like K-12, there isn't much that you will have to do.  A HS should be able to do that with no outside help.

purpleducky
by Ruby Member on Aug. 3, 2014 at 4:24 PM

How old are your kids? I need to know this first, sorry.

Pixers
by Silver Member on Aug. 3, 2014 at 4:29 PM

I just edited for clarification, sorry bout that... I was in the middle of sorting laundry and laughing at some thing my other son was showing me and forgot LOL

Quoting purpleducky:

How old are your kids? I need to know this first, sorry.

purpleducky
by Ruby Member on Aug. 3, 2014 at 4:35 PM

I highly recommended an online charter school for both. Your eldest can work at his own pace as long as he gets everything done before the end of the school year. You also get an instructor to help him understand the material. So you would be there for support mainly. For your younger son, it would allow him to advance as he should. 

There are also various online private schools that might work better that you can look into. What state do you live in? If it is PA, I have heard our online choices are good.

Pixers
by Silver Member on Aug. 3, 2014 at 4:39 PM

TN, but right now we are thinking of the K-12 cause the eldest and I are in OR for medical stuff.  

Quoting purpleducky:

I highly recommended an online charter school for both. Your eldest can work at his own pace as long as he gets everything done before the end of the school year. You also get an instructor to help him understand the material. So you would be there for support mainly. For your younger son, it would allow him to advance as he should. 

There are also various online private schools that might work better that you can look into. What state do you live in? If it is PA, I have heard our online choices are good.

Pixers
by Silver Member on Aug. 3, 2014 at 4:39 PM

BUMP!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)