Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Birthday gifts, how to do it?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 49 Replies

My son's first birthday is coming up very soon I'm planning the  party and got to thinking about the presents. Every party I've had or have attended it's become a nightmare at present opening time. All the kids surround the Birthday child and it creates chaos. It's difficult to hear the "thank you" and it seems rushed.

My ideas, and I'm wondering how this will go over, are:

I am thinking of just telling everyone we will be doing presents at home and I will send a thank you note or call them to personally thank them for their gift. A one year old is not going to open presents or sit still long enough to do it. I feel that would be easier

OR

Have the person/child who bought the gift bring it up to where we are sitting, instead of having a crowd of people around me. That way the view isn't blocked for other people and I can personally express my thankfulness to the gift giver.

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 3, 2014 at 8:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AJsMom81507
by Gold Member on Aug. 3, 2014 at 9:46 PM

we do NOT open gifts at parties.

if we have family over at its at the house for cake the kid can open the gifts then, but when its an actual birthday party with kids at a party place, restuarant, catering hall, etc. gifts are opened at home.

only on CM do people open gifts in front of their guests.

the avg kid party at a place is 1.2 - 2 hours.  play time and they leave 30 minutes for food and cake.

you do NOT need to tell people, you just dont open them.

MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Aug. 3, 2014 at 9:47 PM
I have seen it done both ways. It's fine if that's what you choose.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 3, 2014 at 9:51 PM
We always open gifts at the parties and i hate when people dont. I want to see a child open the gift i gave them. My kids love to see what they got.

Without the gifts, it may as well be a play date.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 4, 2014 at 1:38 PM
5 moms liked this

Only on CM?

Every single birhday party I've ever been to people open gifts at parties. I was raised to open gifts at parties and I can assure you my mother was not on CM. That was an ignorant comment.

if we have family over at its at the house for cake the kid can open the gifts then, but when its an actual birthday party with kids at a party place, restuarant, catering hall, etc. gifts are opened at home.

the avg kid party at a place is 1.2 - 2 hours.  play time and they leave 30 minutes for food and cake.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 4, 2014 at 1:40 PM

I don't care regardless but I don't want to offend someone by not opening them. I hate the chaos and all the kids getting in my child's face.

My older kids have very small parties and open their gifts there but I feel for a 1 year old who isn't going to have the attention span to open a gift it will be easier to open them at home.

Quoting Anonymous: We always open gifts at the parties and i hate when people dont. I want to see a child open the gift i gave them. My kids love to see what they got. Without the gifts, it may as well be a play date.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 4, 2014 at 1:42 PM

Well that is the stupidest thing I have read all day...

Quoting AJsMom81507:

we do NOT open gifts at parties.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Aug. 4, 2014 at 1:44 PM
With my younger kids, I have them open gifts as the guest arrives, right there in front of the person who brought it. The kid is more excited and the person gets a personal thank you.
lenashark
by Ruby Member on Aug. 4, 2014 at 1:45 PM

We never open presents at the party. It can make people feel bad if they couldn't get a gift, kids start comparing who got the best present, it makes an awkward situation when two people get the same thing, and its just a big rushed mess. Plus honestly I don't think that people care what my kids got for their birthdays, they don't need to watch it. Instead we open them after the party and send a thank you note. In the past couple of years we have started asking for a donation to a cause instead of a gift for birthday parties, but sometimes people will bring both and we did have a few birthdays with gifts in my seven year olds earlier years. We never told people we were opening later, we just had a place where they could put the gift and we just did it later. 

ilovemykids323
by Platinum Member on Aug. 4, 2014 at 1:46 PM

we open gifts around everyone. i would find it a little strange if they didn't. i like to see the kids reaction especialyl if i got them something i know they will absoutly love. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Aug. 4, 2014 at 1:50 PM
I say open the gifts so all can see what you got. Send Thank you notes after. You can also say thank you at the party but the Thank you notes can be your way of giving more of a thank you.

I have 3, I've never had an issue with people feeling "not thanked" if that makes sense
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)