Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Parents take healthy twin and abandon the other

Posted by on Aug. 4, 2014 at 9:02 PM
  • 94 Replies

Outrage After Parents Leave Baby, Take Healthy Twin

An Australian couple left their Down Syndrome baby with his 21-year-old surrogate mother in Thailand, while taking the boy’s healthy twin sister. The situation has sparked an international discussion about parental responsibilities when surrogates are involved. The biological parents, whose identities had not yet been revealed at the time of this report, did not break the law, says WSJ’s Sam Everingham, director of Families Through Surrogacy. But the backlash has been "huge... there's been horror, there's been call for reform. It's hard for many of us to understand." According to Fox News, "mother Pattaramon Chanbua said the agency knew about Gammy's condition four to five months after she became pregnant but did not tell her. It wasn't until the seventh month of her pregnancy when the doctors and the agency told her that one of the twin babies had Down syndrome and suggested that she have an abortion just for him. Pattaramon recalled strongly rejecting the idea, believing that having the abortion would be sinful. 'I asked them, `Are you still humans?' I really wanted to know,' she said Sunday." Chanbua has also said that she forgives the parents.

What do ya'll think?  Should they have been allowed to just abandon one of the twins?  Should the surrogate be held responsible for raise this baby?

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers

by on Aug. 4, 2014 at 9:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Aug. 4, 2014 at 9:03 PM
I heard that the parents didn't know about the son & thought he died.
Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Aug. 4, 2014 at 9:04 PM
4 moms liked this
There is a very special place reserved in hell for those people. That's beyond awful.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 4, 2014 at 9:05 PM
3 moms liked this
They asked her to abort the male twin, so I blame her for not following they wishes. That's what happens when you are a surrogate, you know what the parents want.
Shadowed_Star
by Neko❤Wolf on Aug. 4, 2014 at 9:06 PM
2 moms liked this
Wait I am confused. Did the surrogate or the parents not know that the baby had downs?

Because if the parents requested an abortion and the surrogate said no. Then IMO the surrogate can keep the ds baby
911Diva
by Silver Member on Aug. 4, 2014 at 9:07 PM
2 moms liked this

I read an article about this the other day these people disgust me. The little boy also has a heart problem and without proper medical care he is going to die. The young women who they picked as a surrogate doesn't have the funds to get him the medical help he needs. They basically used her to create these children and when one didn't turn out just perfect they left him for dead and left her to deal with the responsibility! This should be illegal if you use IVF and a surrogate to have babies you should sign a contract stating you will provide for those children regardless. It is horrible and disgusting to create them just to abandon them! 

lovemymini
by Emerald Member on Aug. 4, 2014 at 9:07 PM

They waited until she was 7 months pregnant to tell her one had downs syndrome. I don't see how she could've safely aborted one without risking the other at that point.

Quoting Anonymous: They asked her to abort the male twin, so I blame her for not following they wishes. That's what happens when you are a surrogate, you know what the parents want.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers

KylesWifey
by Gold Member on Aug. 4, 2014 at 9:08 PM
1 mom liked this

Well I dont agree with killing an innocent life just because it is "special needs".  But I also would never disown or reject one of my children because Im not a heartless bitch.   This is a sick and f*cked up world we are living in. Makes me sad.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 4, 2014 at 9:08 PM

That's not what's being reported on the news.  They went to pick up their baby. When they found the boy had Downs, they took the girl and left telling the surrogate that the boy was hers.

Quoting Anonymous: I heard that the parents didn't know about the son & thought he died.

228mommy922
by Platinum Member on Aug. 4, 2014 at 9:09 PM
Absolutely.

Quoting Danesmommy1: There is a very special place reserved in hell for those people. That's beyond awful.
nellyoleson
by Gold Member on Aug. 4, 2014 at 9:09 PM
Their daughter will hate them forever.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN