Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Do poeple really only buy clothes for their kids once a year?

Posted by on Aug. 5, 2014 at 12:34 PM
  • 103 Replies
2 moms liked this

People are freaking out about school clothes and it being expensive and kids have grown, etc.

I buy my kids stuff year around.  Whenever they need it and mostly when they want it.  We do not go "school clothes shopping".  That is ridiculous.  First of all in Texas - you wear summer schools to class for the first few months.  Then you buy fall/winter stuff.  If I bought that now they would be a different size by fall. 

We buy new backpacks, school supplies and maybe a couple outfits, thats it. 

You people make it sound like you spend 500$/kid in September, then your kids are in tattered rags by the next September and you have to do it again (poor you). 

by on Aug. 5, 2014 at 12:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
the_dude
by abides on Aug. 5, 2014 at 12:35 PM
2 moms liked this

i shop for clothes.... all year round. 

staci1103
by Gold Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 12:36 PM

Usually I buy the younger ones clothes every season change so 4 times a year and then I'll buy whatever they need cause they always do and whatever they want within reason.

Mom-to-2kids
by Emerald Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 12:37 PM
I buy clothes all the time for my kids. Not just once a year.
jandj4
by Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 12:37 PM
We don't buy clothes for back to school. We normally do shoes cause they r trashed over summer but this year they mainly have been wearing flip flops n just got shoes in May so I might skip that. Also pencils n stuff we have so much as it is. They r getting back packs n my oldest gets book covers and a 3 ring binder n we r done
notjstasocermom
by Emerald Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 12:38 PM

Quoting the_dude:

i shop for clothes.... all year round. 

AvantGardener
by extremely humble on Aug. 5, 2014 at 12:38 PM

I don't find it "ridiculous" lol. We go major shopping twice a year. School clothes are for school. They don't wear them to play at the park. We go school clothes/fall clothes shopping, and we go summer shopping. I rarely buy them anything to wear outside of those two trips.

anyotherday
by Ruby Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 12:38 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree with you... However, unless we desperately needed something that couldnt be passed off as a birthday or christmas present, that is what my parents did... and I know a lot of people who live that way as well.

And yes, by the following summer, our clothes looked like crap... and so the cycle continued. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Aug. 5, 2014 at 12:39 PM

we don't. i buy year around( even when the kids had uniforms for school). there is no need to buy everything at one time

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 5, 2014 at 12:39 PM
I shop 2 times a year mainly. Summer clearance and winter clearance. I get the bulk of my kids clothes new and very cheap for the following year that way.

I do buy some school clothes because this is when they have good sales. I got uniforms for my girls 65% off this year.

PaganKitty67
by Silver Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 12:39 PM

We always buy new clothes at the beginning of the school year. It is just a tradition DH and I both grew up with and do with our kids. They still have plenty of clothes. We do not only buy them clothes for the school year. We buy new shoes and a few new outfits each. We buy clothes as needed or as wanted all year long.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN