Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

dont try to carry a gun on you in my state or else

Posted by on Aug. 5, 2014 at 4:00 PM
  • 142 Replies

A Pennsylvania mother of two with a valid gun permit faces 3 years in jail after she was arrested in NJ during a traffic stop because the license isn't valid here.

she should have known about the rules and i hope she enjoys her 3 years in the pokey for thinking she was above the law 

Atlantic County, New Jersey (My9NJ) -

27 year-old Shaneen Allen wanted to protect her family. She took a gun safety course, applied for and was granted a concealed carry permit and she purchased a gun.

“One of my family members, he thought it was appropriate for me to get one because I’m a single mother and I have two children and I work two jobs and I work late and getting up at that time of night I got robbed twice last year and he felt the need for me to get my license to protect me and my kids,” Allen explained.

However, while Allen, from Philadelphia, was covered to carry a gun in Pennsylvania, she made the mistake of crossing into New Jersey with the weapon and now she's facing a mandatory minimum of three-years in jail.

Allen said that she didn't know her permit didn't apply to New Jersey so when she was stopped for a minor traffic offense she told the police about her gun and her permit to carry. In this case, being honest may have cost her.

“The judge tried to tell me that telling the truth messed me up, my life up and the cop said the same thing. Me opening my mouth and speaking out he said I’m one out of ten people that spoke up and was honest and that got me in trouble,” she said.

Allen was charged with unlawful possession of a weapon and possession of hallow-point bullets which were in the gun. Under New Jersey gun laws, the illegal possession of a gun is a second-degree felony which holds a minimum sentence of three-years in prison.

Allen’s Attorney Evan Nappen feels that the judge doesn't have a lot of discretion in this particular case.

“We’re talking about a law-abiding, licensed person who did nothing wrong. She is now facing three-years minimum mandatory, where the judge has no discretion, in state’s prison,” he said.

Allen has no criminal record and only owned the gun for a week. So far the Atlantic County Prosecutor has denied her entry into a diversionary program that would allow her to avoid jail time.

by on Aug. 5, 2014 at 4:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Aug. 5, 2014 at 4:01 PM
12 moms liked this
My rapist did less time in jail. Sad
MrsApple
by Gold Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 4:01 PM
14 moms liked this

Part of the responsibility of owning a gun is being aware of guns laws in any place you plan to travel to.Sucks for her but she should have known better.

skittleshawk
by Gold Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 4:03 PM

bump

iamcafemom83
by Ruby Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 4:03 PM
3 moms liked this
Wtf. Kinda messed up.
littlesippycup
by Ruby Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 4:03 PM
2 moms liked this

That sucks.

numonestunar
by Platinum Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 4:04 PM
4 moms liked this
Sucks for her but as a licence carrier myself, I know which states I can and cannot carry.
It's our responsibility to know.
metalmomma86
by Gold Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 4:04 PM
Agree completely

Quoting MrsApple:

Part of the responsibility of owning a gun is being aware of guns laws in any place you plan to travel to.Sucks for her but she should have known better.

divinedimension
by Not Miss Cleo on Aug. 5, 2014 at 4:05 PM
5 moms liked this

She will get a fine, not three years in jail (if everything else is clean on her record). First offense, no way she is gonna get three years. She will pay the fine and walk free. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 5, 2014 at 4:07 PM
If she has no ch, I doubt she does time. It was an honest mistake
MrsApple
by Gold Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 4:07 PM

I do agree that she won't end up serving that much (if any) jail time,if she has a clean record.

Quoting divinedimension:

She will get a fine, not three years in jail (if everything else is clean on her record). First offense, no way she is gonna get three years. She will pay the fine and walk free. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)