Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

apparently I'm a horrible pet owner.

Posted by on Aug. 5, 2014 at 6:27 PM
  • 100 Replies

My dog is almost 12. hes a shep/lab mix. the other day he had a seizure.  we called the vet right away and the vet called us back and said that the earliest we can bring him in is friday and they will do brain scans, x rays and put him on medications and such.  we said we will take the medication to stop the seizures but we arent going to to the brain scan and xrays.  i mean hes a very nervous dog, he has high anxiety.  and hes almost 12. so even if something does turn up in the xray or brain scan we arent going to put him through surgery at that age, thats alot on a senior dog.  my dfs brother said that we are cruel pet owners for not doing everything possible for the dog.  am i being realistic or a i being cruel?

by on Aug. 5, 2014 at 6:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
l.a.m.b
by Gold Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 6:27 PM

BUMP!

l.a.m.b
by Gold Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 6:28 PM

BUMP!

ShastaRaine
by Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 6:28 PM
2 moms liked this
Realistic in my opinion
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
daniellegirly26
by Bronze Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 6:29 PM
1 mom liked this
No you are not!
I wouldn't want to put my pet through all of that either.
You are doing the right thing.
Peace to you and your doggie
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Aug. 5, 2014 at 6:29 PM
I personally would not have waited friday and would have xrays because it might be a simple fix
leeshuh
by Bronze Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 6:29 PM

I'd do the same as you.

l.a.m.b
by Gold Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 6:29 PM

Quoting ShastaRaine: Realistic in my opinion

thank you, i jus dont want to put my dog through all that stuff. 

SweetPea2004
by Platinum Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 6:29 PM
I would do the same thing.
corticosteroid
by Ruby Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 6:32 PM

I think only you know your dog best.

However, have you ever tried putting him on Amitryptiline?  It helped one of our dogs who had severe anxiety immensely.  Our Gussie was a Golden Retriever, and he would swim upward of eight hours a day.  Seriously.  He was compelled to get into the pool and swim laps until he was just completely exhausted.  We went through behavior therapies and trainers, nothing helped.  Then a vet suggested Amitryptiline, we put him on it and like magic, the swimming compulsion eased up.  He would still swim, but for a reasonable amount of time instead of all day.

l.a.m.b
by Gold Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 6:32 PM

Quoting Anonymous: I personally would not have waited friday and would have xrays because it might be a simple fix

they said they can give us a medication to prevent future seizures so we said just give us that medicaion we'll pay for that instead of paying for all the xrays and such.  if the xrays do show something regardless of what it is, we dont want to put him through it

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN