Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I am NOT buying school supplies

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 391 Replies
3 moms liked this
At the bottom of the list in teeny tiny letters it says "for communal use"

Nope, not gonna do it.
Why does my kid need to buy 2 reams of paper, 6 notebooks, 4 packs of Ticonderoga pencils and 2 packs of crayons? Among other things.
Apparently some kids won't be able to afford that. That's cool. I get it.
So I won't buy the shit and my child can get free supplies as well.

I pay $400 per month for her to attend this school.

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 5, 2014 at 6:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Elaflynts
by Silver Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 6:57 PM
30 moms liked this

wamom223
by Gold Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 6:57 PM
11 moms liked this

I had a big response to lay into you over this until I saw you pay tuition.  That is bull.  What grade?

PaganKitty67
by Silver Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 6:59 PM
1 mom liked this

Neither am I but that's because the school is providing all supplies K-6

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 5, 2014 at 7:03 PM
42 moms liked this
2nd grade.
And I am not a selfish person. I just think you should pay for your kids supplies and then if another parent has some difficulty then the teacher, or principal, can privately discuss donations with me, or other parents, without naming names.
When my boo was in pre , there was a family who had fallen on hard times. The director was telling me about the situation. Every two weeks I would drop off milk, formula, bread, pb, cereal, whatever I saw in the market for that family. I never knew who it was.
You shouldn't be forced to give.
I will gladly, but ask me. Don't make it mandatory.

Quoting wamom223:

I had a big response to lay into you over this until I saw you pay tuition.  That is bull.  What grade?

HIJKLM
by Ruby Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 7:03 PM
12 moms liked this
With that much tuition i wouldn't either, not because it's shared but because tuition should cover that
ajdahd13
by on Aug. 5, 2014 at 7:04 PM
5 moms liked this
Send in half. That way you contribute, but you're not supplying multiple kids.
Book.Strumpet
by Fountain.Pirate on Aug. 5, 2014 at 7:06 PM
23 moms liked this

But surly you're one of those mothers who donate extra supplies to their child's classroom each year. I'm right aren't I, you are caring, compassionate, and you know some families are in desperate straights, and can't afford to buy what their children need, but you being such an caring woman/mother want every child to have all the advantages possible, so they can be successful, right?  

And I know that you being the awesome, intelligent woman that you are, you realize that buying what's on the list for communal use, isn't any different.

I'm so glad there are amazing women like you on this site. You are a true inspiration to us all.

wamom223
by Gold Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 7:07 PM
4 moms liked this

I think it is okay to make it mandatory in public school and do get frustrated that parents will send their kids to school without supplies.  However if you are paying $400 in tuition a month they shouldn't be asking you for communal supplies, that is ridiculous.  

Quoting Anonymous: 2nd grade. And I am not a selfish person. I just think you should pay for your kids supplies and then if another parent has some difficulty then the teacher, or principal, can privately discuss donations with me, or other parents, without naming names. When my boo was in pre , there was a family who had fallen on hard times. The director was telling me about the situation. Every two weeks I would drop off milk, formula, bread, pb, cereal, whatever I saw in the market for that family. I never knew who it was. You shouldn't be forced to give. I will gladly, but ask me. Don't make it mandatory.
Quoting wamom223:

MommyChristina1
by Silver Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 7:08 PM
24 moms liked this
I just don't understand getting all torn up about a couple boxes of 50 cent crayons.
wamom223
by Gold Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 7:09 PM
8 moms liked this

Parents that can afford $400 a month in tuition aren't in dire straights.  If she is shelling out around $3,600 a year in tuition she shouldn't have to buy communal supplies, it is ridiculous.  Now if it was public school that is a whole different story.  

Quoting Book.Strumpet:

But surly you're one of those mothers who donate extra supplies to their child's classroom each year. I'm right aren't I, you are caring and compassionate and you know some families are in desperate straights, and can't afford to buy what their children need but you being such an caring woman/mother want every child to have all the advantages possible so they can be successful, right?  

And I know that you being the awesome, intelligent woman that you are, you realize that buying what's on the list for communal use isn't any different.

I'm so glad there are amazing women like you on this site. You are a true inspiration to us all.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN