Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

would you leave your 7 year old home alone for 15 minutes?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 105 Replies
Here is the deal, due to a schedule conflict we have a 15 minute window where DD (7) is alone and we need to find a way to fix this. I work 3am to 11am, Dh works 8am to 2pm and must leave the house by 7 to make it. We live right next to DDs school (literally) she walks to and from daily and no, we do not accompany her. However she can't get to school until 7:15. Neither of our schedules are changeable unless we find new jobs. So there is a 15 minute window of time we need to cover.

DD does often play unsupervised outside for longer than 15 minutes. She plays inside unsupervised for longer than 15 minutes, if I am outside in the yard, or speaking to a neighbor etc. But actually compleately leaving her has me kind of worried. Any advice or suggestions?
Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 5, 2014 at 10:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 5, 2014 at 10:05 PM
Absolutely not
lwalker270
by Ruby Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 10:06 PM

Don't you have a neighbor or friend she can stay with for that short bit of time?  

I wouldn't be comfortable leaving my 7 year old -- my kids play outside too without me, but if something were to happen I'm right there.  Not so if I have to come from a job.

The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function.

~ F. Scott Fitzgerald

lilsirsmomma
by Bronze Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 10:06 PM
No..I wouldn't do it either.
tinybluemoon
by Platinum Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 10:07 PM
I would.
LokisMama
by Platinum Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 10:08 PM

Nope. I don't even leave my kids alone when my DH is sleeping, and mine are 7 and 5. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 5, 2014 at 10:08 PM
HELL NO!!!

Find a neighbor or friend to watch her for those 15 minutes.
katnjake
by Bronze Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 10:08 PM

If anyone, teacher, counselor, neighbor, realized this, you'd go to jail and DD would be placed in foster care. Don't do it. Ask a neighborhood mom if she could come over until it's time to walk, ask a family member, etc.

mich2.0
by on Aug. 5, 2014 at 10:08 PM

Classmate that lives close or a neighbor you know and trust.

leksismommy
by Platinum Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 10:08 PM
1 mom liked this
It really depends on the kid. Is there a 5th grader that lives nearby that will come 15 minutes early and leave with DD on time? Maybe pay them 20 a week
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Aug. 5, 2014 at 10:09 PM
1 mom liked this
No way.

Aline for 15 minutes once maybe. Alone for 15 minutes everyday and then have to het hersef to school...i cant even believe youre contemplating it.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)