Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

To those against community school supplies...

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 74 Replies

Let's say, your child loses their pencil/pen or months into the school year run out of a particular item without telling you and cannot complete an assignment...should the teacher provide those items to your child, even though you didn't contribute to the community supplies, or should your child receive a "0" for the assignment? 

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 5, 2014 at 10:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AjMorczek
by Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 10:35 PM
1 mom liked this
I would expect to be informed if to child lost supplies, but I've always never seen a option given it's required here that you contribute.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 5, 2014 at 10:35 PM
4 moms liked this
The sancti-mommies are going to proclaim their child doesn't lose materials, or will always have what they need.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 5, 2014 at 10:36 PM
6 moms liked this
If my child ran out of pens and didn't tell me, yes, he should receive a zero.

It is my job to provide school supplies for MY child. Not the teacher, not the school district, and definitely not other parents.

My child should be responsible enough to tell me if he runs out of pens or pencils or paper or whatever so I can replenish them.

As for during school, when I was a kid we had a box in the classroom closet that had all sorts of leftover pens and pencils and crayons and stuff. They were junky, but they got the job done until mom and dad could run to walmart that night.
momto2boys3215
by Bronze Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 10:37 PM
2 moms liked this

Depends on age 

Elem teacher should send notice home that class is out of supplies, let child use what is needed until supplies come in.  

Jr & up child responsibility.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 5, 2014 at 10:37 PM

Informed by who...the teachers aren't checking book bags or desks to see if kids have their supplies

Quoting AjMorczek: I would expect to be informed if to child lost supplies, but I've always never seen a option given it's required here that you contribute.

HandMmom12
by Jody on Aug. 5, 2014 at 10:37 PM

That's why my kid always takes more than one pen or pencil. I absolutely expect her to lose them. It's my responsibility to make sure she has what she needs.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Aug. 5, 2014 at 10:38 PM
Well I've honestly never had a problem where my kid didn't have what she needed in school. I send her with more than one pencil and notebook. She has extras of everything and is good at telling me if she's getting low. She's a good kid.

But I surely don't consider myself a sanctimommy.

Quoting Anonymous: The sancti-mommies are going to proclaim their child doesn't lose materials, or will always have what they need.
PoisonEyeV
by ☆ No Ragrets ☆ on Aug. 5, 2014 at 10:39 PM
6 moms liked this

This supply shit is so petty. It's not a big deal to contribute a box of pencils...it's also not a big deal for a teacher to borrow a student a pencil off her desk every once in awhile seeing as how I'm sure she has PLENTY. Never had issues with this crap.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 5, 2014 at 10:40 PM
3 moms liked this
I went to communal supplies for THAT reason. The number of students who LOSE pencils, crayons, or glue is insane. Parents don't replenish shit in my experience. A communal organization system is GOLDEN in a primary classroom, GOLDEN!!
teenkabear
by Silver Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 10:40 PM
1 mom liked this

When I went to school (and this wasn't that long ago), if you didn't have something, you borrowed off a friend or the teacher gave it to you.

This is a budgeting issue.  Schools have the money nowadays for all kinds of nonsense, and yes, I mean NONSENSE, but they don't have the money to buy extra basic supplies (ESSENTIALS) for the students?  It is no secret that public schooling budgets are problematic at best currently.

No, I'm not gonna buy supplies with my money for my kids and then accept the fact that they are being forced to share.  When it's forced, it's no longer "sharing".

It's the principle.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)