Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

How would you discipline my son???

Posted by on Aug. 5, 2014 at 11:48 PM
  • 15 Replies
About a month ago my soon to be 10 year old was visiting his dad. Well his dad was at work so his aunt was babysitting him. My son did not like what his aunt said to him so he ran away. His dad did nothing to punish him. So when he came home to my place I grounded him from outside for a week and from his tablet for a week.
Well guess what he's done it again tonight where I had to drive 25 miles to the town his dad lives in to try and find him because his aunt couldn't find him and I'm suppose to have Gastric Bypass Surgery tomorrow. I was crying I was so scared I didn't know where my son was at. I did finally find him riding his bike by his dads apartment and my step mom had a long talk with him about running away and we got him to go inside. Now I know his dad will not punish him so how should I punish him when he comes home on Monday??? I was thinking grounding him from outside for 2 weeks, 2 weeks no tablet, and 1 weekend no dads since I've been allowing him to go to his dads every weekend and it's suppose to be every other. What do you guys think???
by on Aug. 5, 2014 at 11:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Aug. 5, 2014 at 11:53 PM
2 moms liked this

I would definitely restrict his visits to dads area back to the original agreement since he is not learning to listen when the adult in charge says something.   I wonder if adding sentences x 50-100 stating '" I will listen to my aunt and stay put" would make any impact since the grounding and taking away tablet is not.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 6, 2014 at 12:02 AM
1 mom liked this
Do you have anyone who can stay with him a older cousin or other family member to follow his every move since he cant be trusted to run away? Or see if there is some kind of program like scared straight that will show him exactly what can happens to kids who runaway?
Chirinos
by Silver Member on Aug. 6, 2014 at 12:03 AM
I'll try that Thank you

Quoting Anonymous:

I would definitely restrict his visits to dads area back to the original agreement since he is not learning to listen when the adult in charge says something.   I wonder if adding sentences x 50-100 stating '" I will listen to my aunt and stay put" would make any impact since the grounding and taking away tablet is not.

PoisonEyeV
by ☆ No Ragrets ☆ on Aug. 6, 2014 at 12:03 AM

tar and feather

ajdahd13
by on Aug. 6, 2014 at 12:05 AM
Honestly, I'm not sure. It really is dad's place to punish him, but since he's not I don't know what to say.

I think I would start to threaten dad. If he doesn't start punishing DS for running off, then you'll start calling the police and go to the courts. He needs to stop being selfish, for your son's sake.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 6, 2014 at 12:06 AM
2 moms liked this
I think the aunt is a terrible baby sitter.
KTU
by Kim on Aug. 6, 2014 at 12:06 AM
1 mom liked this
What's up with the aunt that continues to lose your son? I'd say she can never babysit again! And he would be grounded. No TV, electronics, sweets, nothing!
Chirinos
by Silver Member on Aug. 6, 2014 at 12:07 AM
There isn't anyone older that can watch him. It's just his aunt. When he gets home on Monday I am going to check with my local police department and see if they will come over and have a talk to him.

Quoting Anonymous: Do you have anyone who can stay with him a older cousin or other family member to follow his every move since he cant be trusted to run away? Or see if there is some kind of program like scared straight that will show him exactly what can happens to kids who runaway?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Aug. 6, 2014 at 12:07 AM
Dad needs step and punish him. I don't think much will help until he does. I would also go back to the original agreement for visitation.
teaandcookies
by Silver Member on Aug. 6, 2014 at 12:10 AM
1 mom liked this

take him to the police station and let them tell him what will can happen to him

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)