Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Judge tries to have baby forcibly aborted

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 165 Replies
1 mom liked this

Baby finds happy ending after Nevada judge tried to have her forcibly aborted

The baby at the center of 2012’s shocking forced abortion case in Nevada has been legally adopted by her grandparents, who fought to save her life after a county judge considered ordering their mentally handicapped daughter to have an abortion.

Cierramaria Cecilia Bauer, now 15 months old, was conceived when her mother, Elisa Bauer, wandered away from an assisted living facility for mentally handicapped adults and was impregnated by an unknown sexual predator. Elisa has the mental capacity of a third grader, and when workers at the facility discovered she was pregnant, they called social services, which led to a 40-day court battle over whether she would be allowed to have the baby, or forced to undergo an abortion and sterilization against her family’s will.

Elisa’s parents, Bill and Amy Bauer, told the court they wanted to help their daughter carry the baby to term, and place the child with loving and capable adoptive parents. Their Christian faith told them that life begins at conception regardless of how the baby was conceived, and that to abort the child would be murder.

But the judge presiding over the case told the Bauers their faith was “irrelevant” in his courtroom and said he would defer to doctors and social workers in deciding what was best for Elisa. One doctor summoned by the court said that an abortion and forced sterilization would be the only compassionate thing to do. “End this pregnancy and tie her tubes,” he said in a court hearing.

But after a passionate defense by Attorney Jason Guinasso on behalf of the Bauer family, along with a deluge of phone calls and e-mails from LifeSiteNews readers around the world begging the judge to reconsider, the court took the forced abortion option off the table.

Click "like" if you are PRO-LIFE!

Little Cierramaria was born May 2, 2013. At the time, Mr. Guinasso told LifeSiteNews, “She is sweet and good natured. By all measures, she is perfectly healthy and sublimely beautiful. You and your readers were a big part of God’s plan to save this baby. She is a beautiful little baby. I can't adequately express how seeing her face makes my heart full.”

In an email to LifeSiteNews Saturday, Guinasso joyfully reported that Cierramaria’s adoption had been finalized, in the very same court where her grandparents fought so hard to save her life.

“Today … we witnessed the completion of the miracle of God changing hearts and minds about the value of a life which culminated in the celebration of the adoption of Cierramaria Cecilia Bauer … by Bill and Amy!” Guinasso wrote. “[My wife] Kim and I are so grateful to be a part of this family's life. We are also blessed beyond expression by the opportunity to watch this baby overcome adversity and grow into the woman God has predestined her to be.” Advertisement

To LifeSiteNews and its readers, Guinasso added: “I would like to thank you all again for your amazing work in this matter.”

Attorneys Jason Guinasso (L) and his wife Kim Guinasso (R) with the Bauer family (C)

http://www.lifesitenews.com/news/baby-finds-happy-ending-after-nevada-judge-tried-to-have-her-forcibly-abort

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 6, 2014 at 7:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
julainepw
by Bronze Member on Aug. 6, 2014 at 7:23 AM
4 moms liked this
The court system should never be able to force an abortion on anyone.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 6, 2014 at 7:25 AM
7 moms liked this
It sucks because, in this case, you're either forcing her to have the baby, or forcing her to abort. Neither is her choice.
Medic32
by RN=Rescue Ninja on Aug. 6, 2014 at 7:27 AM
This is a tricky situation. I don't believe a judge has a right to make a decision for a woman's body, regardless of her mental capacity . That is opening up some crazy doors for eugenics.
booaura
by Platinum Member on Aug. 6, 2014 at 7:28 AM
2 moms liked this
Exactly. She's a child, mentally. She can't decide. So either way, it's wrong. Her parents were succesful in forcing her to carry a child to term, because that's what THEY wanted. Did anyone ever ask her, not that she really had the chance, if she wanted that? And the state tried to force an abortion, also wrong. How about Plan B, was that even offered?

Quoting Anonymous: It sucks because, in this case, you're either forcing her to have the baby, or forcing her to abort. Neither is her choice.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
booaura
by Platinum Member on Aug. 6, 2014 at 7:29 AM
10 moms liked this
I also love how in the picture, the grandparents are shown, but the mother, who was forced to carry to term, isn't anywhere to be found. Sounds like grandma and grandpa wanted a baby and used their daughter to get one.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 6, 2014 at 7:29 AM
2 moms liked this
As much as she shouldn't be forced to abort that baby, she shouldn't have been forced to carry it either.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Aug. 6, 2014 at 7:35 AM
1 mom liked this
I would assume the mother isn't there because she lives in a facility.

Quoting booaura: I also love how in the picture, the grandparents are shown, but the mother, who was forced to carry to term, isn't anywhere to be found. Sounds like grandma and grandpa wanted a baby and used their daughter to get one.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Aug. 6, 2014 at 7:35 AM
So what do you think should have been done in this situation?

Quoting booaura: Exactly. She's a child, mentally. She can't decide. So either way, it's wrong. Her parents were succesful in forcing her to carry a child to term, because that's what THEY wanted. Did anyone ever ask her, not that she really had the chance, if she wanted that? And the state tried to force an abortion, also wrong. How about Plan B, was that even offered?

Quoting Anonymous: It sucks because, in this case, you're either forcing her to have the baby, or forcing her to abort. Neither is her choice.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Aug. 6, 2014 at 7:35 AM

I don't know how I feel about this. If she has the mentality of a third grader no matter what choice was made it wasn't hers. I don't think this was a happy ending to the story for Elisa...but I don't think if the abortion was forced it would have been a happy ending either. Her parents got what they wanted.

It's nice that the baby is healthy and thriving though. 

Medic32
by RN=Rescue Ninja on Aug. 6, 2014 at 7:35 AM
I got that impression as well. A redo baby for them.

Quoting booaura: I also love how in the picture, the grandparents are shown, but the mother, who was forced to carry to term, isn't anywhere to be found. Sounds like grandma and grandpa wanted a baby and used their daughter to get one.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)