Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Baby name etiquette do's and don'ts - Share Your Stories!

Posted by on Aug. 6, 2014 at 8:08 AM
  • 135 Replies

The Stir is looking for advice on baby name etiquette do's and don'ts. What behavior of others has annoyed you in terms of  baby naming? A friend stealing your name? Looking horrified when they hear the name you picked for your baby? Making fun of the name? Please share any annoying moments that come to mind so that other moms can avoid repeating the same mistakes! 

by on Aug. 6, 2014 at 8:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
GotSomeKids
by Silver Member on Aug. 6, 2014 at 8:10 AM
4 moms liked this

Mind your business.  I get so tired of people saying you having to name your baby after certain people in the family, the name you picked doesn't represent your culture, the name you picked is stupid.

Mind your business.

BrutalTruth
by urbullyisshowing on Aug. 6, 2014 at 8:12 AM
7 moms liked this
If you name your child Sharkeisha, or something equally ridiculous, I can and will laugh. Deal with it, and maybe get used to it as well.
TheSilence
by TΓ‘ mΓ© an mΓ³ on Aug. 6, 2014 at 8:13 AM
4 moms liked this
I really hate when people that are ignorant about names and the etymology of names feel they have a right to judge someone's name choice.
Just because a name isn't popular in the USA doesn't mean it isn't a real name and it doesn't mean it isn't a nice name.
Goodybag1
by CuteiPie on Aug. 6, 2014 at 8:13 AM
1 mom liked this
When I tell some people what I'll name my future baby they frown lol. It doesn't bother me though because I'm not fond of their kids name either.
Snakecharmer76
by Silver Member on Aug. 6, 2014 at 8:15 AM
5 moms liked this

Basically, the only acceptable comment upon hearing the parent's choice of name for their baby is: 'How nice! Congratulations!'

Anything other than the above is a 'don't'.

People also don't have 'dibs' on names. Names don't have copyrights so no one 'owns' certain names. If your friend named their child before you, just get over it and decide to continue with the same name or choose something else.

the.B.karma
by on Aug. 6, 2014 at 8:16 AM

Stop being so concerned with what we name our children is my advice. Some people just care too damn much.

Twisties34
by Bronze Member on Aug. 6, 2014 at 8:18 AM

Parents not checking how the names sound all together with the family name, or not checking the initials don't spell out something weird ?

Tohru_Lynn89
by Silver Member on Aug. 6, 2014 at 8:18 AM
After I learned I was having a girl I posted on Facebook that her name would be Serenity Lynn. I had a guy I went to college with (a friend at the time) message me privately and tell me I should change the name because Serenity is a stripper name. I very politely told him that because it wasn't his child he had no say in the matter, that any name could be a stripper name, and that the baby's father (my fiancΓ©) agreed to the name. I basically told this guy to f**k off without actually saying it. I havnt spoken to him since.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Aug. 6, 2014 at 8:21 AM
2 moms liked this
There is no such thing as baby name etiquette, in my opinion. There are billions of people on Earth, you're sharing a baby name, whether you like it or not.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 6, 2014 at 8:22 AM
1 mom liked this
I've had women berate me on the middle name we chose for our son, it is something that means a lot to our family. If you don't have anything nice to say about the name keep it to yourself. Not your child, it doesn't effect you.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN