Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Let's Talk School Lunches

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 93 Replies

So it seems that a lot of you are very dissatisfied over what is served for school lunches.

I would like to know 1st off what are you doing about it? Are you talking to your congressman about the changes that should be made?

This is my challenge for you for the day.

There are 5 days in a week that is 2 main dishes a day for the school X 6 week rotating menu. The challenge is to come up with only the main item for those meals which is 60 items they have to meet the school nutrition guidelines.For meat/ meat alternate and grains.

You have to be able to fix for between 200-400 kids in the time frame of 1 1/2 hours and know that there are also other items that have to be prepared in that time frame as well. The full salad bar wlll also have to be prepared.

You can not use any items like homemade pizza dough that takes too much time to do. It has to be not raw meats.

Example 2 cases of grapes take about 45 minutes to clean and cut into bunches.

Any lunch ideas worthy of mention will be taken to the main Boss for consideration. I have told her all about your concerns she is wanting to know ideas.

Go!

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 6, 2014 at 8:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lucky2Beeme
by Ruby Member on Aug. 6, 2014 at 8:33 AM
1 mom liked this

Where did you come up with the 1.5 hour prep time? When I worked in a school cafe. We went in at 7am to prep for 11am lunch.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 6, 2014 at 8:35 AM

Quoting lucky2Beeme:

Where did you come up with the 1.5 hour prep time? When I worked in a school cafe. We went in at 7am to prep for 11am lunch.

I have from 9 -10:30 to prepare for lunch I go in at 6 but I have to make brekfast and then do dishes, then  eat ourselves check in food, and do grocery orders that's the time I have to make lunch.

Mom-to-2kids
by Emerald Member on Aug. 6, 2014 at 8:37 AM
My son is pretty happy with his schools lunches. We go over the menu weekly and he decides what days he wants to eat or pack a lunch. So no complaints here
chairhead28
by Platinum Member on Aug. 6, 2014 at 8:39 AM
My solution to the gross school menu? Send my kids to school with packed breakfasts and lunches, made from scratch. I think what they serve is disgusting and my kids wouldn't eat it anyway. So that's my solution. For the rest of the kids, not sure. But, one thing I do know, orange juice shouldn't be considered a "fresh fruit", lmao.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 6, 2014 at 8:40 AM
No. Lol.
KikiKia
by Silver Member on Aug. 6, 2014 at 8:41 AM

My kids hate school lunch so they just bring their lunch from home.

notjstasocermom
by Emerald Member on Aug. 6, 2014 at 8:41 AM
We do that too

Quoting Mom-to-2kids: My son is pretty happy with his schools lunches. We go over the menu weekly and he decides what days he wants to eat or pack a lunch. So no complaints here
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 6, 2014 at 8:42 AM

Quoting chairhead28: My solution to the gross school menu? Send my kids to school with packed breakfasts and lunches, made from scratch. I think what they serve is disgusting and my kids wouldn't eat it anyway. So that's my solution. For the rest of the kids, not sure. But, one thing I do know, orange juice shouldn't be considered a "fresh fruit", lmao.

I'm sorry your child or you don't like school lunches I have 226 kids in my school and I have 220 eating every single day unless they are sick or gone.

I think what we serve on a daily basis is pretty darned good.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 6, 2014 at 8:42 AM

Quoting Mom-to-2kids: My son is pretty happy with his schools lunches. We go over the menu weekly and he decides what days he wants to eat or pack a lunch. So no complaints here

Thank You

Spam72
by Platinum Member on Aug. 6, 2014 at 8:42 AM
1 mom liked this
Our school lunches are great. We have 2 choices of fresh fruit and 2 choices of veg daily. One veg is always raw with a dip. That part is unlimited. We also get an entree that is made from scratch and sometimes a dessert. We participate in the farm to school lunch program. For our school of about 1000 middle school kids plus teachers they have 7 full time cooks that make breakfast and lunch.
The food is varied, organic and delicious. We can also opt for the sandwich line, salad bar or ala carte where they have burgers, baked fries, hummus with pita and veggies, cheese plates w/ crackers and apple slices, bagels, pizza, etc
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN