Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Dairy free people

Posted by on Aug. 6, 2014 at 11:47 AM
  • 91 Replies

I need help. I'm trying to go dairy free and it's way harder than I thought it would be. First of all, almond milk costs twice as much as regular milk, holy toledo. I bought it and now I don't want to use it because I don't want to have to buy more. lol My kids like yogurt, omelets, cheese! I made dinner last night and then realized I put blue cheese and ranch dressing in my salad. I have like 2 salads a day. How will I live without my blue cheese and ranch dressing?

Anyway, I know there are vegan cheeses that I have to go hunt for, but in general do you have any tips for going dairly free? Any good websites, or cook books. I don't even know what to make my kids for breakfast. All their old standbys have some dairy. 

by on Aug. 6, 2014 at 11:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mamma2mypeanut
by Member on Aug. 6, 2014 at 11:49 AM

Why are you going dairy free????

almondpigeon
by Ruby Member on Aug. 6, 2014 at 11:50 AM
For the most part, I'm dairy free. Dairy just grosses me out. I've never bought substitutes though.

Bump
Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Aug. 6, 2014 at 11:51 AM
2 moms liked this
I couldn't live my life without cheese. Swiss, cheddar, mozzarella, gouda, etc...

Here's a bump.
AvantGardener
by extremely humble on Aug. 6, 2014 at 11:52 AM

We have some digestive issues in the family and the doctor told us to eliminate dairy for a month to see if it gets better. When I was breast feeding i quit dairy just for myself and I personally felt better so I have a feeling this will stick. Especially because whatever my problem is, my son's problem is. My husband has his own issues but doc wanted to start with dairy and take it from there.

Quoting Mamma2mypeanut:

Why are you going dairy free????

Pixers
by Gold Member on Aug. 6, 2014 at 11:52 AM
1 mom liked this

I use coconut/almost blend milk.  Yes it is expensive but for me I have to... hives suck :( 

You can learn to make your own cheese, and ranch dressing.  You will have to play around with recipes etc but you can do it!! 

Not_A_Native
by Ruby Member on Aug. 6, 2014 at 11:52 AM
1 mom liked this

My daughter is lactose intolerant.

For the most part, she eats no dairy or dairy substitutes.  Almond milk for her coffee (she's 21).  No cheese, no yogurt.  Omelettes with veggies and salsa (yes, she liked it even when she was little).  Balsamic vinegarette dressing on salads.  Just basically - no dairy.  Changes in eating.

shajdinyak
by Silver Member on Aug. 6, 2014 at 11:53 AM
U just get use to it. Unfortunately there are no good substitutes. Daiya cheese is OK melted and the pizza is OK. It just becomes a way of life
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AvantGardener
by extremely humble on Aug. 6, 2014 at 11:53 AM

I feel like I'm being really dramatic here but seriously, I can't seem to cook a meal that doesn't have dairy in it. I mean, dinner is easy but breakfast and lunch. My kids are going to starve

Quoting Danesmommy1: I couldn't live my life without cheese. Swiss, cheddar, mozzarella, gouda, etc... Here's a bump.

ZombieMeat37
by Gold Member on Aug. 6, 2014 at 11:55 AM

Store bought milk substitutes are typically highly processed and expensive, so if you are wanting to go that route, you could just make it yourself. It's really simple and will cost a lot less.

I personally wouldn't use a substitute because they are so highly processed, so it's pointless, imo.

I use raw goat milk for dairy products though, and some people who have issues with cow dairy, can tolerate raw goat milk.

Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Aug. 6, 2014 at 11:56 AM
Are you doing it for a reason?? Is there an allergy or something??

Quoting AvantGardener:

I feel like I'm being really dramatic here but seriously, I can't seem to cook a meal that doesn't have dairy in it. I mean, dinner is easy but breakfast and lunch. My kids are going to starve

Quoting Danesmommy1: I couldn't live my life without cheese. Swiss, cheddar, mozzarella, gouda, etc...

Here's a bump.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN