Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

DH's ex moved in WITH US and there is not much we can do about it!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 133 Replies
REALLY long story short, DH and I moved to his old home town. He got offered a good job and so for now we are living there.

We got here about a year ago. Well we were not sure if it was going to be a permanent so we moved into the old house that him and h is ex lived in.

The house is in both of their names. Well his ex moved out of it 5 years ago and it has been empty since. We didnt think it was a big deal for us to live there and neither did she. I didnt really like the idea but a rent free place to live was better than nothing at the time.

Well I came home the other day to find her moving her stuff in. Her lease ran out and she is in the process of finding a better place. I didnt even know what to do or say. I hadnt met her really before then. I was just in shock. I called my DH and told him and he said there was really not much he can do. It is legally just as much her house as it was his. She took the master bedroom (I never wanted it because it was really weird that they used to share that room).

It has been a few weeks now. i am pissed at the whole situation. She just acts like it is no big deal. They broke up and were on bad terms for awhile and barely talked and now bam she is in the house. She is pretty rude to him but has been really nice to me. She likes to do the whole "We both were with him lets share embarrassing things he did" thing.

I have been looking to get a new place but living in a college town this is the worst time of the year to be getting a new apartment or rental house because everyone just moved back or is planning on moving back. I did find a place an hour and a half away but the rent is high, the neighborhood is not that great, and it would be a long commute.

She can move into her new place in another month so it really just doesnt seem worth it.

I feel like I am on some reality tv show and that this is all a big nightmare.

ETA: Her parents bought the house for them. They are the ones paying taxes on it. I am not sure who is paying insurance on it but I assume them also. They had a very messy break up and both just walked away from each other and the house. Neither one of them would talk to the other so they never lived in it.
Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 6, 2014 at 1:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MysticIceWater
by Saphyres mommy on Aug. 6, 2014 at 1:54 PM
Disaster written all over this! The divorce didn't say who got the house?
daniellegirly26
by Bronze Member on Aug. 6, 2014 at 1:55 PM
Ugh!! That sounds freakin' awful!!!
I don't know how long, if at all, I could tolerate the situation!!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 6, 2014 at 1:55 PM
They were never married. When the broke up they both just stopped living here. He moved across the country and she moved across town.

Quoting MysticIceWater: Disaster written all over this! The divorce didn't say who got the house?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 6, 2014 at 1:58 PM
And that is a good example of why unmarried couples shouldn't buy property together without some kind of agreement of what will happen if they break up.
Legally it is both of theirs and she has every right to be there

Quoting Anonymous: They were never married. When the broke up they both just stopped living here. He moved across the country and she moved across town.

Quoting MysticIceWater: Disaster written all over this! The divorce didn't say who got the house?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 6, 2014 at 2:00 PM
1 mom liked this
Well that was said in the post....but thanks for restating what I already said I guess.

Quoting Anonymous: And that is a good example of why unmarried couples shouldn't buy property together without some kind of agreement of what will happen if they break up.
Legally it is both of theirs and she has every right to be there

Quoting Anonymous: They were never married. When the broke up they both just stopped living here. He moved across the country and she moved across town.

corticosteroid
by Ruby Member on Aug. 6, 2014 at 2:00 PM
1 mom liked this

Try and make the best of it.  You don't have to be BFF or anything, but taking the high road is never a bad idea.

navywife0204
by Silver Member on Aug. 6, 2014 at 2:01 PM

Um, she should have at least had the courtesy to ask first rather than just assume she could move her shit in!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 6, 2014 at 2:02 PM
I have been trying my hardest to just avoid drama at all costs. It has been really hard.

Quoting corticosteroid:

Try and make the best of it.  You don't have to be BFF or anything, but taking the high road is never a bad idea.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 6, 2014 at 2:05 PM

It's in her name as well....Why wouldn't she assume that she could just move her stuff in? I mean sure, asking is the polite thing to do, but she legally didn't have to.

Quoting navywife0204:

Um, she should have at least had the courtesy to ask first rather than just assume she could move her shit in!

hismommy2010
by on Aug. 6, 2014 at 2:05 PM
Odd that they both end up back there???
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN