Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Would you tell your kid this? *Kidnapping, running off, etc.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 36 Replies

A little girl, couldn't be more than two years old, just ran off from her mom at the library. The mom was looking at a book cover, and set it down, realized she couldn't see her kid, and started frantically running/calling. Found her hiding in a corner behind a chair looking at a picture book. The mom smacked her butt, yelled at her, then said "you're so cute, someone would snatch you up in a second. You don't want them to take you, so stay with me, okay...?" I was like wtf, jaw drop, really?! I get keeping it real with your kid and stuff, but you don't tell a BABY that someone will steal them!!! :O Wow. What are your thoughts?

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 6, 2014 at 2:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on Aug. 6, 2014 at 2:23 PM
2 moms liked this

nno, because stranger danger is a myth anyways

KikiKia
by Silver Member on Aug. 6, 2014 at 2:26 PM

I dont see what the big deal is.  Its a very REAL problem.  There's worse scenarios depicted on TV and movies (umm almost all Disney films depict parental death!!) 

So she's keeping it real with her daughter.  Dont see a problem.

alexsmomaubrys2
by Emerald Member on Aug. 6, 2014 at 2:26 PM

I've said that to my kids. 

Just like when DS was 3 years old and ran out in front of a car I told him not to do that because if he got hit he would die and death was forever. 

nelliesmommy
by on Aug. 6, 2014 at 2:30 PM
I don't see anything wrong with what she said. Some things shouldn't be sugar coated.
AvantGardener
by extremely humble on Aug. 6, 2014 at 2:31 PM

No, we don't do stranger danger.

Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Aug. 6, 2014 at 2:32 PM
That's a tad extreme, but honestly fear can be a good thing in some situations.
sugarcrisp
by Ruby Member on Aug. 6, 2014 at 2:34 PM

NBD IMO

MrsApple
by Gold Member on Aug. 6, 2014 at 2:36 PM

I told my daughter when she was pretty young (toddler age) that if she didn't stay with mom/dad/grandma,ect. that she could get lost or somone could take her.It didn't scare her for life or anything.

So_Devious20
by Misha Lovegood<3 on Aug. 6, 2014 at 2:36 PM
Yes. I tell dd she needs to be in my eyesight at all times because she could be stolen. It's a legit reason. And no she doesn't run from strangers. She's 6 and not 3 though
MicheleJM
by Phoenix on Aug. 6, 2014 at 2:36 PM
1 mom liked this

Not me personally.  However my ds11 would run off and hide when he was little.  He could disappear just like that and he wouldn't listen. More to the point he may not have understood considering he was non verbal at that time. There were times I leashed him. I remember one very bad incident of searching for him for five minutes or so in a grocery store and he was five then.  After having a kid like that I understand being at the end of your rope; being upset, and saying that to get it into their little two year old heads that they NEED to stay nearby.  I wouldn't judge the mom.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN