Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Emergency Responders Break Car Window to Free Doll in Car Seat

Posted by on Aug. 6, 2014 at 4:50 PM
  • 9 Replies

When passersby saw a baby locked in a car in Hoboken, New Jersey, they called 911 out of concern for the child's welfare. Emergency responders showed up and smashed the window to get into the vehicle. Instead of a baby, however, they discovered a life-like doll in a child's car seat. It turns out that the 2-year-old granddaughter of the car owner, Kitty Mieles, had placed the doll in the seat. 

Although the act of heroism garnered a few laughs from fellow members of the Hoboken Volunteer Ambulance Corps, it's still great to see the community jumping into action when it thinks a child is in danger.

Thomas Molta, president of Hoboken Volunteer Ambulance Corps, said, "I saw pictures of the doll, and it looked real. I got 34 years experience in EMS, and I probably would have broken the window, too.

"Seconds are paramount there. That's the difference between a baby breathing, not breathing, pulse, no pulse," Molta continues. "You can replace a window, but you can't replace a life."

The city of Hoboken is picking up the tab for the broken window, and Mieles, in good spirits about the incident, vows to never leave her granddaughter's doll in the car seat again.

by on Aug. 6, 2014 at 4:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
luvnmyboi
by Gold Member on Aug. 6, 2014 at 4:53 PM
1 mom liked this
I'd be frustrated with the broken window but honestly, would rather a window be broken needlessly than for them to incorrectly conclude that it's a doll and leave it.
iamcafemom83
by Ruby Member on Aug. 6, 2014 at 4:53 PM
Better safe than sorry!
wkukid
by Beach Bum on Aug. 6, 2014 at 4:53 PM
As long as they are paying for the repairs it's just a funny story.
Medic32
by RN=Rescue Ninja on Aug. 6, 2014 at 4:56 PM
New Jersey, enough said.
Bethsunshine
by on Aug. 6, 2014 at 4:56 PM

I just saw the article for this on yahoo! Some of those dolls look REALLY life-like so I can understand why someone would think it was a real baby in there. Better safe than sorry and that's good that the city is paying for the broken window.

Bethsunshine
by on Aug. 6, 2014 at 4:57 PM

What's getting out of hand? People trying to rescue babies in hot cars?

Quoting Anonymous:

oh ffs its getting out of hand

southernangel1
by Silver Member on Aug. 6, 2014 at 5:01 PM
Better safe than sorry and they are paying to replace her window. Not a big deal unless it had been a real child and/or they didn't pay to replace the window.
wise.toes
by Gold Member on Aug. 6, 2014 at 5:04 PM

better safe than sorry, but i'd still expect the responders to pay for the broken window. also makes me think twice about what i'm leaving in plain view. i know we've left a doll in the carseat while we went shopping before...not even thinking someone would think it was a real child! lol

the photo shows a very obvious doll. 

HIJKLM
by Ruby Member on Aug. 6, 2014 at 5:06 PM
Same

Quoting luvnmyboi: I'd be frustrated with the broken window but honestly, would rather a window be broken needlessly than for them to incorrectly conclude that it's a doll and leave it.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN