Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My 7 year old is buying a house!

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

She swears she is.  She saves every dime of her money so she can buy a house with an indoor pool when she grows up.  She says she doesn't want to borrow from the bank and wants to pay cash.  I'm like, "Okay, well then I know you will do it."  She's so determined.  My other two, ds(12) and dd(5) act like their money is burning holes in their pockets lol. 

How are your kids with money?

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 6, 2014 at 6:56 PM
Replies (11-17):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Aug. 6, 2014 at 7:34 PM
1 mom liked this

Your 5 year old is like mine.  She loses half of it in her room somewhere or she's spending it.

Quoting BEXi:

My 5 year old would rather play with it. My 6 year old is the saver.

MrsWhite101610
by Gold Member on Aug. 6, 2014 at 7:36 PM
My daughter just started chores and has been saving all of her money. She's 4
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Aug. 6, 2014 at 7:37 PM

That's a great idea.  I need to get her a bank account.  For right now, she keeps it hidden but she's doing chores and asked for an allowance like her brother so I think we'll open a bank account and put her allowance there. 

Quoting momto2boys973: My boys love to save their money. They each have an account and they deposit what they get in gifts, allowance or when they loose a tooth. Both have wanted iPods so the deal was that when they turn 8, they pay for half. Each time they receive their monthly statement they're excited to see how much they have.

CMcLaws
by Platinum Member on Aug. 6, 2014 at 7:38 PM
My 10 year old CAN save, but it takes every ounce of willpower not to spend it all. My six year old picks something to save for and does it. She never touches her money, it's a very "out of sight out of mind" thing for her.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Aug. 6, 2014 at 7:38 PM

Thanks.  Me too! :)

Quoting Anonymous: That's cute! I hope she meets her goal!

southernwldchld
by Gold Member on Aug. 6, 2014 at 7:47 PM

Mine are hit and miss. 

Oldest (15) is pretty good with hers, she has goals that are not cheap (pilots license) so she saves a lot, but spends a small amount on herself.

DS10 has a pretty balanced idea of it. He mows lawns and for every 20 he earns he spends 5 and saves 15.

DS9 forgets he has money, because he loses his wallet so often. When he finds it though he spends it freely. 

DD7 saves for special things, like our yearly trip. It is so exclusively for this trip that last year she still had ten left over, and it is still sitting in her bank for this trip.

DS4 has no concept of his money at all. If he gets money, he'd rather trade it for popsicles.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Aug. 6, 2014 at 8:20 PM

Lol @ your 4 year old.  That's cute.  My ds12 mows lawns too and can make $200 in a week but lately he's bought a new cell phone that was $135 and he's going to buy a new skate board for $115 whenever we take him.  He has a bank account and COULD save but he loves to spend it more lol.

Quoting southernwldchld:

Mine are hit and miss. 

Oldest (15) is pretty good with hers, she has goals that are not cheap (pilots license) so she saves a lot, but spends a small amount on herself.

DS10 has a pretty balanced idea of it. He mows lawns and for every 20 he earns he spends 5 and saves 15.

DS9 forgets he has money, because he loses his wallet so often. When he finds it though he spends it freely. 

DD7 saves for special things, like our yearly trip. It is so exclusively for this trip that last year she still had ten left over, and it is still sitting in her bank for this trip.

DS4 has no concept of his money at all. If he gets money, he'd rather trade it for popsicles.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)