Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

What do you do if a job you worked is out of business?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 10 Replies

My dh has had this one job 10 years ago. The business closed down. We put the job on the resume. The business and phone number show up on the internet. My husband had a background check, the place that does background checks called dh saying the number for employer does not work. Dh and I called the number after a while someone answers saying the business closed down a few years ago. We told the agency that does the background checks this They put on the report that this business closed down. They are sending the whole thing to the employer. Would someone not get hired over this? You know putting a past employer down whom went out of business and my husband put the employer on the resume not knowing the business closed down.

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 6, 2014 at 8:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
shadowcat76
by Platinum Member on Aug. 6, 2014 at 8:21 PM
I worked for a place that closed down. I've never had a problem getting a job because of it. I still put it on my resume.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Aug. 6, 2014 at 8:21 PM

BUMP!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 6, 2014 at 8:22 PM
Bump
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 6, 2014 at 8:27 PM

If the jobs was in the past 7 years put it on the resume.  Businesses close all the time.   As for me I don't have to worry about that, the Federal government isn't going out of Business anytime soon!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Aug. 6, 2014 at 8:39 PM

We put three jobs on the resume. The one that closed was the last one. Yea I don't think your job is closing down anytime soon LOL.

Quoting Anonymous:

If the jobs was in the past 7 years put it on the resume.  Businesses close all the time.   As for me I don't have to worry about that, the Federal government isn't going out of Business anytime soon!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 6, 2014 at 11:56 PM

May I ask why there were only three jobs listed on the resume?  I'm not trying to be nosey, I do some of the hiring (and when need firing) for my department. If I can be of help let me know.  

Quoting Anonymous:

We put three jobs on the resume. The one that closed was the last one. Yea I don't think your job is closing down anytime soon LOL.

Quoting Anonymous:

I'm

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Aug. 7, 2014 at 3:21 AM
My husband's first job he's been in has lasted 7 years. The second job was 2 years and the out of business job for 1 year. I always assumed employers needed three past jobs. There have been gaps between the 7 year job and 2 year job and I listed a job dh had for a few months but that was on the application. The job he's suppose to get now pays well so I'm super paranoid.

Quoting Anonymous:

May I ask why there were only three jobs listed on the resume?  I'm not trying to be nosey, I do some of the hiring (and when need firing) for my department. If I can be of help let me know.  

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

I'm

HIJKLM
by Ruby Member on Aug. 7, 2014 at 3:46 AM
I doubt it is a problem. The work history is still relevant even if the business closed. I put on my resume that the business was closed but still listed the employer because it shows experience. I would just revise the resume stating the business is now closed in the future.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Aug. 7, 2014 at 3:50 AM
List it and if asked state "went out of busines" they can verify with the IRS if he worked there or not.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Aug. 7, 2014 at 4:09 AM
No. That is not a logical reason why someone would not get hired.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)