Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My sons bedroom is haunted

Posted by on Aug. 7, 2014 at 2:59 AM
  • 66 Replies

According to him, that is. 

I thought he had outgrown this. When he had his own bedroom it too was haunted. He used to sneak into his twins room most nights because 'it' used to poke him and stroke his hair making it impossible to sleep. If we forced him to stay in his own room he would wet the bed and cry because 'it' wouldn't let him go to the bathroom. Night lights didn't work, monster spray didn't work ('it's not a monster, mom'), none of the usual tricks worked.

When SD moved in we gave her DS bedroom and he moved in with his brother. Unsurprisingly, SD has reported no 'activity'. All DS problems seemed to vanish as well. However, DH has taken Older DS and DD camping this week. DS was supposed to go as well, but he has a lung infection and we didn't think all the smoke would do any good to his recovery. So now his twin is gone, 'it' has come back to play. DS has ended up in my bed every night, sooner or later. He has wet the bed twice this week. Apparently it keeps moving around on the top bunk (older DS bed) and is whispering things to him.

While I have no problem with him sleeping in my bed with me, I don't think it is healthy that at 8 years old he is unable to sleep alone, especially as he makes up this being to try force his way out of sleeping alone.

How would you deal with this?

by on Aug. 7, 2014 at 2:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Browncoat4eva
by Mackenzie on Aug. 7, 2014 at 3:02 AM
1 mom liked this

Call ghostbusters.

tinybluemoon
by Platinum Member on Aug. 7, 2014 at 3:05 AM
6 moms liked this

I tried. Their phone has been disconnected.

Quoting Browncoat4eva:

Call ghostbusters.

Browncoat4eva
by Mackenzie on Aug. 7, 2014 at 3:07 AM

Ah, that sucks.

Call a priest (or someone in a priest costume, even better) to exercise the room?

Quoting tinybluemoon:

Quoting Browncoat4eva:

Call ghostbusters.

Peace, and all that jazz...

~Mackenzie 

a Browncoat4eva 

...I'm a leaf on the wind. Watch me soar...

lovetoteachec
by Dani on Aug. 7, 2014 at 3:09 AM
My daughter is 8 and has sleep issues as well. I understand what you're going through she won't sleep in her room but loves our floor for some reason,it's odd. She doesn't claim ghosts she's just scared. :\
tinybluemoon
by Platinum Member on Aug. 7, 2014 at 3:09 AM

I don't think it is a ghost problem, I think it is a DS problem. I don't think he likes sleeping alone, so he creates this thing so he doesn't have to. I don't think a priest (or even me dressed in a priest costume) is going to help much.

Quoting Browncoat4eva:

Ah, that sucks.

Call a priest (or someone in a priest costume, even better) to exercise the room?

Quoting tinybluemoon:

Quoting Browncoat4eva:

Call ghostbusters.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Aug. 7, 2014 at 3:11 AM
5 moms liked this
We couldn't be talking about this a two in the afternoon?! We gotta talk about it now....allllllrighty!

Personally, I wouldn't dismiss what he is saying. Some might think it's an overactive imagination while others might see it as something actually messing with him. If he's too terrified to sleep alone and is too frightened to even get up to use the bathroom to the point where he is wetting himself...something is tormenting that child when he is alone. I would spy on him when he is alone. Does he respond to it? Have you asked him to draw or describe what it looks like?
miss-karla
by Silver Member on Aug. 7, 2014 at 3:12 AM
He's scared of the dark alone.
Browncoat4eva
by Mackenzie on Aug. 7, 2014 at 3:15 AM
1 mom liked this

Just thinking someone (not you) who he thinks is a priest banishing ghosts might help if he actually believes there is a ghost in there. Or a fake ghost buster 'investigating' and saying the room is 'clean'. Kind of like the monster spray.

Quoting tinybluemoon:

I don't think it is a ghost problem, I think it is a DS problem. I don't think he likes sleeping alone, so he creates this thing so he doesn't have to. I don't think a priest (or even me dressed in a priest costume) is going to help much.

Quoting Browncoat4eva:

Ah, that sucks.

Quoting tinybluemoon:

Quoting Browncoat4eva:

Call ghostbusters.

Peace, and all that jazz...

~Mackenzie 

a Browncoat4eva 

...I'm a leaf on the wind. Watch me soar...

want10more
by Gold Member on Aug. 7, 2014 at 3:18 AM

i never believed in ghosties. and now i have to. and i've found out that kids see it or that more easily than adults sometimes. if he's not a kid that might fib just to get into your bed at night? maybe take him seriously. he might just be seeing an IT that he can't explain. i am 44 and it's hard to explain for ME TOO!

i agree that an 8 yr old should sleep in his own bed but yet? take just a second to wonder about what he might be REALLY seeing?

i never was one for ghostie stuff. but i have crap going on here that would just curl your hair. no kiddin.

want10more
by Gold Member on Aug. 7, 2014 at 3:20 AM
1 mom liked this

the drawing thing might just be the best thing to do. at 8, he could really draw a pic that could give some clues...........

Quoting Anonymous: We couldn't be talking about this a two in the afternoon?! We gotta talk about it now....allllllrighty! Personally, I wouldn't dismiss what he is saying. Some might think it's an overactive imagination while others might see it as something actually messing with him. If he's too terrified to sleep alone and is too frightened to even get up to use the bathroom to the point where he is wetting himself...something is tormenting that child when he is alone. I would spy on him when he is alone. Does he respond to it? Have you asked him to draw or describe what it looks like?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)