Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Teachers, would you think I was a crazy loon?

Posted by   + Show Post
So yesterday I called the school to find out who my sons teacher will be. We aren't suppose to find out until open house which is Friday. But I couldn't wait until Friday I wanted to know.

After the secretary told me I immediately went on the school's website; found the teachers page; read some old newsletters from last year; then finally I emailed the teacher.

I offered to be room mom, help with decorating the room, gathering extra supplies or even updating her website. I even told her if she needed any help before open house Friday I am readily available. I asked her if she needed any extra classroom supplies that wasn't listed in the grade wide list.

I also gave her some info about my Ds.

I let her know he was left handed, which could be important when assigning seats.

I informered her about Ds asthma and that the nurse would have his inhaler.

I also told her that ds had grown and learned a lot since his placement evaluation in the spring. I told her how well he was doing reading. I also told her his biggest weakness was his handwriting.
Before concluding the email I offered to help once again with anything she needed. I gave her my phone number

Does this seem too... Idk pushy? I want her to know that I want to be involved but I don't want her to think in a crazy overbearing mom.
Do I sound like a loon?
by on Aug. 7, 2014 at 12:08 PM
Replies (31-40):
poietes
by Platinum Member on Aug. 7, 2014 at 12:29 PM
2 moms liked this
I think it's a little much info all at once. She has so much on her plate and you just added to the stress. Offering help and telling who your son is is fine but all the info? I personally think a teacher should get to know the child in their own time, kids act so much more differently at school than they do at home. I think your enthusiasm is great but it is a little much all at once. Good luck I hope you both have a great year.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Aug. 7, 2014 at 12:31 PM
2 moms liked this

Yes, you sound crazy.  But kindergarten teachers are used to it!  Better to come across as overzealous than as not caring. 

mich2.0
by on Aug. 7, 2014 at 12:32 PM
2 moms liked this

That may have been a bit over the top. lol But it's better to be over involved than not give two craps about your kid or school.

Ms.Pteranodon
by Platinum Member on Aug. 7, 2014 at 12:32 PM
I don't.

I just like to stay informed about how well or how poorly he is doing and I like to know WHAT he is doing.

I know the teachers have websites provided by the school, but I also know that most don't have time to keep them up to date which is why I offered to help.

I only let her know about him being left handed because I thought it could cause a problem with seating. In prek last year his teacher had to change his seat on the first day.

Quoting Anonymous: She might be worried that you are a little over bearing..... But so long as you don't expect your child to be her only student and top priority I'm sure it will be done.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 9 on Aug. 7, 2014 at 12:33 PM
1 mom liked this
I hear helicopters
Anonymous
by Anonymous 10 on Aug. 7, 2014 at 12:35 PM
2 moms liked this
Yeah, you're nuts. Volunteering is fine but you're practically stalking this poor woman to brag about your snowflake.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 11 on Aug. 7, 2014 at 12:36 PM
1 mom liked this
Yeah. I would nod and smile and make a note to avoid you like the plague.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 12 on Aug. 7, 2014 at 12:38 PM

Um, yes. I am not a teacher, but yeah. That is just too much all at once. The very absolute least you could have done was just wait until Friday. If I were a teacher, I would be thinking something like "Oh god, it's one of those parents."

AmiJanell
by Silver Member on Aug. 7, 2014 at 12:40 PM

Yes, you sound a bit over the top... time to let go a little. 

Ms.Pteranodon
by Platinum Member on Aug. 7, 2014 at 12:41 PM
The main reason I didn't wait until Friday was because I wanted to offer to help set up BEFORE Friday. The teachers just went back in Tues and I know that 3 days is just not enough to get everything ready.
Plus I wanted to make sure she didn't want any other supplies that wasn't listed.

Plus I figured the email would be easier for her to remember

Quoting Anonymous:

Um, yes. I am not a teacher, but yeah. That is just too much all at once. The very absolute least you could have done was just wait until Friday. If I were a teacher, I would be thinking something like "Oh god, it's one of those parents."

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)