Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

is my ds' school he ONLY school...

Posted by on Aug. 7, 2014 at 7:57 PM
  • 39 Replies
I am so upset with ds' school right now. :/

They released the classroom assignments today. I went, with ds, to find out who his teacher is. When i was there i asked when open house or meet the teacher is. The assistant replied "we arent having one this year". I asked why. She stated "district budget isnt allowing for it" i then asked why i have 3 friends with kids in 3 seperate schools all in his district who are having a meet the teacher or open house before school starts. She said "well its up to the principal to decide whether its important or not to have it". I then asked if i could go walk to ds' classroom just to see where it is so i know where to pick him up at. She told me no. I then asked for a map so i could at least see it that way. She said they didnt have one. I could come with him on his first day and see where it is.
I then went and saw the class list. He has 32 FRICKIN kids in his class. 32!!!! There are 6 2nd grade classes. Im so pissed. Im so glad he is moving schools in Oct.

I alrwady had issues with this school because ds is showing signs of dyslexia. Im dyslexic. So i saw them immediatly. I took him to his pedi who also noticed the signs and told me to talk to his teacher about a 504 plan. When i did this, i was told they dont do anything for it until 3rd grade because they think 1st graders are too young to have it. So, needless to say nothing got done.
by on Aug. 7, 2014 at 7:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
eykelley
by Gold Member on Aug. 7, 2014 at 7:58 PM
Bump
eykelley
by Gold Member on Aug. 7, 2014 at 7:58 PM
Bump
lucky2Beeme
by Ruby Member on Aug. 7, 2014 at 8:00 PM

Didnt you know about his school before you moved there ? Also you can have him tested without going through the school. Once he has a diagnosis then involve school.

angelachristine
by Platinum Member on Aug. 7, 2014 at 8:00 PM

I'm sorry that sounds like a bad school. ds school scored a 3 out of 10 on standardized testing and we actually have a school choice option because the scores are so bad.

MotherLady
by Platinum Member on Aug. 7, 2014 at 8:01 PM
1 mom liked this
I would try to move him earlier if you could. Or maybe try k-12 for the next 2 months until then.

I am so against home schooling, but I refuse to send my kids to a school that won't give me any info.
KairisMama
by Emerald Member on Aug. 7, 2014 at 8:02 PM

EEK, that's a bad impression of the school. I don't understand what budget has to do with it. We don't get paid EXTRA for having open house, it is simply part of our contract to work an open house night. I'd be very skeptical of that principal.

eykelley
by Gold Member on Aug. 7, 2014 at 8:02 PM
He has been at the same school since kindergarten. They had an open house and everything. I loved his school. They were organized and efficient. Then this new principal showed up last year.

Idk how i get him tested without his school. I asked the pedi and she said his school was the only way to go. We live in az. Its an awful state school wise. But i thought i found a good one. Guess not.

Quoting lucky2Beeme:

Didnt you know about his school before you moved there ? Also you can have him tested without going through the school. Once he has a diagnosis then involve school.

maxswolfsuit
by Platinum Member on Aug. 7, 2014 at 8:03 PM

Well they have a point about the dyslexia. The common signs are also developmentally appropriate for students up to third grade. So testing can be highly inaccurate in young children unless the disability is very severe.

momtolittleg
by Platinum Member on Aug. 7, 2014 at 8:04 PM
32 kids in a 2nd grade class is insane. At first I read wrong and thought you'd said 6th grade, and even THAT is horrible.
lovemymini
by Emerald Member on Aug. 7, 2014 at 8:05 PM

Small classes are one of the big reasons I LOVE my son's private school.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)