Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Any ideas for poison oak relief?

Posted by on Aug. 8, 2014 at 3:08 AM
  • 17 Replies
Dh has a small rash that appears to be poison oak or something similar. We were at a family reunion a few days ago and played games near a wooded area where went to hunt down a couple frisbees that got lost so I wouldn't be surprised if that's where it came from. We have calamine lotion so he just now used some of that but I'm just curious if any of you know of other things that could help. Thank you!!
by on Aug. 8, 2014 at 3:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bertaboo1
by Bronze Member on Aug. 8, 2014 at 5:24 AM
Epson salt bath in cool water. Aveno oatmeal bath. Don't scratch it or it will spread. I unfortunately did and it spread all iver my body so bad...dr gave me a steroid pill pack and some sort of cream. It worked like a dream but i didn't sleep for 3 days because the steroids kept me awake.
jbyrd898
by Silver Member on Aug. 8, 2014 at 5:31 AM

My son and my husband got this recently. There are lots of over the counter things that can be used to relieve the itching. Go into the CVS and you will see the whole section. My son ended up at the dr. anyway, but my husband was able to get rid of his on his own. 

Yellow_Lileigh
by Gold Member on Aug. 8, 2014 at 5:33 AM
Thanks! He used the calamine anti itch lotion we had here already but I'm going to stop by the drug store tomorrow and see what else is available.

Quoting jbyrd898:

My son and my husband got this recently. There are lots of over the counter things that can be used to relieve the itching. Go into the CVS and you will see the whole section. My son ended up at the dr. anyway, but my husband was able to get rid of his on his own. 

Yellow_Lileigh
by Gold Member on Aug. 8, 2014 at 5:34 AM
Thank you! That's really a bummer but I appreciate the info!

Quoting bertaboo1: Epson salt bath in cool water. Aveno oatmeal bath. Don't scratch it or it will spread. I unfortunately did and it spread all iver my body so bad...dr gave me a steroid pill pack and some sort of cream. It worked like a dream but i didn't sleep for 3 days because the steroids kept me awake.
sugarcrisp
by Ruby Member on Aug. 8, 2014 at 5:35 AM

Ivy-Dry. It's amazing.

bertaboo1
by Bronze Member on Aug. 8, 2014 at 5:36 AM
No worries. I had never gotten it before. It was the worst 10 days lol. Dd has gotten it several times in the past but it had always been right before vacations to the beach. The saltwater cleared it up quicker with her.
sugarcrisp
by Ruby Member on Aug. 8, 2014 at 5:37 AM

It won't spread if the area has been washed well. Scratching will, however, slow down the healing process.

Quoting bertaboo1: Epson salt bath in cool water. Aveno oatmeal bath. Don't scratch it or it will spread. I unfortunately did and it spread all iver my body so bad...dr gave me a steroid pill pack and some sort of cream. It worked like a dream but i didn't sleep for 3 days because the steroids kept me awake.

bertaboo1
by Bronze Member on Aug. 8, 2014 at 5:40 AM
I didnt know i had it lol. So i scratched. And scratched. It was sooooo bad. It looked like i rolled naked in an ivy patch!

Quoting sugarcrisp:

It won't spread if the area has been washed well. Scratching will, however, slow down the healing process.

sugarcrisp
by Ruby Member on Aug. 8, 2014 at 5:43 AM

Ugh yeah. That's how mine spread when I got it. I thought it was a mosquito bite, so I scratched. Then I began itching elsewhere. A bit later it was red and splotchy and I texted a pic to my mom and asked her. She said it was poison oak and to shower or else I'd continue spreading the oils and getting it in other areas. It was HELL. lol

Quoting bertaboo1: I didnt know i had it lol. So i scratched. And scratched. It was sooooo bad. It looked like i rolled naked in an ivy patch!
Quoting sugarcrisp:

jbyrd898
by Silver Member on Aug. 8, 2014 at 5:49 AM

I finally remembererd the name of something that worked well, it is called ivarest.

Quoting Yellow_Lileigh: Thanks! He used the calamine anti itch lotion we had here already but I'm going to stop by the drug store tomorrow and see what else is available.
Quoting jbyrd898:

CafeMom Tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN